[SOLVED] Sata 3.0 Gb/s bandwith in RAID0

parad0x_

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Hey ppl, need help. Lets look into situation: i have 2 modern SATA SSDs in RAID0 connected to SATA 3.0GB/s ports. Question is: Can the speed of data transfer exceed 3.0 gb/s in such scenario? Is 3gb/s a controller limit or per-port limit?
Ty in advance.

Solution
It's per port but raid 0 will not double the speed. Pretty close though. I get just over 1000Mb/s
This applies only to sequential speeds. Other speeds, like random 4k (the low numbers you see on benchmarks 20-45mb/s) actually slow down some . My drives that are capable of 35Mb/s each score 25mb/s together in Raid0. Sandisk Extreme Pro 480Gb.

edit - for the heck of it I ran as-ssd on my boot raid0 drives, 1tb Samsung 860 Evo's and they scored similarly. 1016 mb/s in Sequential and only 30mb/s in 4k.

popatim

Titan
It's per port but raid 0 will not double the speed. Pretty close though. I get just over 1000Mb/s
This applies only to sequential speeds. Other speeds, like random 4k (the low numbers you see on benchmarks 20-45mb/s) actually slow down some . My drives that are capable of 35Mb/s each score 25mb/s together in Raid0. Sandisk Extreme Pro 480Gb.

edit - for the heck of it I ran as-ssd on my boot raid0 drives, 1tb Samsung 860 Evo's and they scored similarly. 1016 mb/s in Sequential and only 30mb/s in 4k.

Solution