SATA 3.3V power supply

Are there any hard drives being manufactured that require the 3.3V supply? Is it safe to say that no drives being manufactured today or planned in the future that will need this supply? If any one has any good references about this I would thank you. I know that some drives generate the 3.3V internally if no external 3.3V supply is present will this always be true?

vamsikrishna

Honorable
May 2, 2012
HI sir this is vamsi krishna from INDIA. Sir please help me. how many times installed operating systems in hard drive?

please give me answer.

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

I have got a USB to SATA converter and the power supply has only 5V and 12V. I use this USB to SATA converter for testing hard drives and data transfer in my workshop. I have never had a hard drive where this does not work, but I was wondering if this will always be true.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I would say that 5V and 12V are pretty much standardized now. I personally dont think that would change to something different. If anything were to change, I would probably say that it would be the ports. The trend nowadays is less power consumption, maybe the actual data ports could provide.