Sata 3 disk on a sata 2 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I just replaced my Corsair Force 115GB sata2 SSDwith the Corsair Force 120GB sata3 SSD. I have a sata 2 connection on the mobo. After running the atto bench, I'm seeing numbers that are pretty close to the sata2 drive.

Is this to be expected being its a sata 2 board? The board has an Intel x58 chipset.
If so is there some kind of adapter or cable I can purchase in order to get the full sata 3 performance. If so what?

Thanks all

Solution

Probably, PCI SATA III adapters are only like $25 - and I'm assuming the reason you bought your new SSD was to get a little more speed with SATA III. The thing is, SSDs barely max out the SATA II bandwidth, so you won't see much difference even with a PCI adapter/SATA III mobo...

caqde

Distinguished
Everything is working as expected when you replace your board with a Sata 3 board you can get better performance until then it is working as expected. The only other thing you might be able to do is get a PCI-Express Sata 3 addon board.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
So would there be a significant performance increase in order to justify the price of the pci card?

I noticed the read speeds are about the same. The Seq and 512K reads are 20 points slower on the SATA 3. However, the write's have increased about 150% better than the Force SATA 2 drive this replaced. So I do see better numbers but nothing like they advertize.

Jess, do you think the pci card is worth it? Or nothing would replace the mobo.

Tanks guys

Probably, PCI SATA III adapters are only like $25 - and I'm assuming the reason you bought your new SSD was to get a little more speed with SATA III. The thing is, SSDs barely max out the SATA II bandwidth, so you won't see much difference even with a PCI adapter/SATA III mobo.

It's like when I bought my monitor a few years ago. I paid a premium for LED backlighting because the contrast was supposed to be out of this world. I compare it side by side with a regular LCD panel and the only difference is the blacks on mine are a slightly darker shade of gray. Nothing noticeable, really. The important thing is you have an SSD instead of an HDD. Now that difference is noticeable.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.