SATA 3 Drives running at SATA 2 Speeds why?

slkjdfv

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello I have an issue with my new computer that I just built. I'm using the MSI Z77A-GD65 mobo, and a sata 3 SSD(OS Drive) as well as a sata 3 HDD(Storage Drive). Both my SSD and HDD are running at sata 2 speeds not sata 3. I have both drives plugged into a sata 3 port using sata 3 cables. Whats going on here? Why am I not getting sata 3 speeds? And yes I updated all my drivers. My processor is an intel i7-2120. I tried searching on google and I couldn't figure this out if any one can help that would be great. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the sandy-bridge series chipsets. I plan on upgrading eventually to an ivy-bridge. Thanks for your time.

slkjdfv

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III Asynchronous <---- That's my hard drive.

@rolli59 I believe that's what my mobo has them set to(ACHI)

slkjdfv

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
In my BIOS SATA MODE is set to AHCI my options are as follows
[Disabled]
[IDE Mode](Odd that this exists cause there's no IDE hookups on my board)
[AHCI Mode](Currently Selected)
[RAID Mode]

and that's it.

Your motherboard has 4 SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports. Verify that your SSD is connected to one of the Intel ports (SATA1 or SATA2), not one of the ASMedia ports (SATA7 or SATA8).

The ASMedia controller has a data bandwidth of PCIe x1, so any SATA 3 SSD connected to those ports will not get advertised Read/Write speeds.