[SOLVED] Sata 3 limited to 3gbps ?

Mar 27, 2020
hello

so i installed an SSD like 7 months ago, huge upgrade, big difference, but something came to my attention is when i used UserBenchMark, i found out my SSD isn't perfoming as usual, not bad but not at its full potential i guess.

anyways i run a program called HWinFO64 and to see if i didn't somehow plug my ssd incorrectly, then i see that my hdd "Serial ATA 3Gb/s @ 3Gb/s" "SATA2.5", which is normal, and my sdd should show "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s" but it says "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s" and its SATA3.1.

thought it was a bug but my external harddrive is "Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s" SATA3.1, like what my ssd should be.

Is it the cable, or the port ? i tried to search everywhere but couldnt find any answers or questions about it.

Solution
full system spec?

is this the system?

motherboard for 3rd gen cpu. some have both sata 6gb/3gb sata port. make sure you are using the 6gb port

ok so i checked my motherboards(ga-h61m-s2p gigabyte) specs, and apparently im limited to 3gb/s or i missed something.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S2P-rev-21/sp#sp

maybe i should consider buying a new motherboard....

Thanks

rgd1101

Don't
full system spec?

is this the system?

motherboard for 3rd gen cpu. some have both sata 6gb/3gb sata port. make sure you are using the 6gb port

Mar 27, 2020
full system spec?

is this the system?

ok so i checked my motherboards(ga-h61m-s2p gigabyte) specs, and apparently im limited to 3gb/s or i missed something.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-S2P-rev-21/sp#sp

maybe i should consider buying a new motherboard....

Thanks

Solution

popatim

Titan
If you're happy with your current system there is no need for a new motherboard. The high numbers you see in benchmarks are large sequential files and most home users spend little time performing these tasks. The Casual users and gamer spend much of their time in the 4k random reads and writes and those speeds are handled nicely by Sata2 so even if you upgraded, I'd bet you won't hardly see or feel a difference.

Reactions: rgd1101