SATA-3 via PCI slot, not PCIe

usb-smith

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hello, I have a question and hopefully I can get the skinny for this situation. Here is just some information to outline my hardware setup which, leads to my problem. I own a EVGA nForce 780i (132-CK-NF78) MoBo, I am running (2) GeForce 8800 in SLI mode (slot-01 & slot-03), (2) SSD's which are SATA-2 MoBo limit & W7-U. So here's my question(s) I bought a Intel series 510 SATA-3 SSD, I would like to enjoy the SATA-3 speed, so I need a internal add-on SATA-3 controller. The SATA-3 controllers are everywhere on the web, however they all appear to use the PCIe slot, which I do have one, but it is impossiable to get to bewcause of my (2) 8800 video cards running in SLI mode one of which (slot-01) cannot be moved from it's position according to Nvidia tech support and that video card is covering the PCIe slot for the add-in controller - I am bummed. So, question; do they make a SATA-3 controller that would use a standard PCI slot (which I have a open/clear access to) - ANY help regarding this would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays - KwS in Cleveland, Ohio

Sorry but it appears that the PCI slot is limited to a low bandwidth and there are PCI controller cards that will plug into the PCI slot and you can use it to attach a hdd but it is limited to sata 1 speeds. That is the primary reson for the PCI-E slot's invention is that it allows a higher bandwidth and the controller cards that plug into the PCI-E slots allow sata 3 speeds.

usb-smith

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Well - Firstly, thank you for clearing that issue up - If I could ask you guys, would you have any suggestions regarding replacing the (2) two 8800 SLI mode video cards with (1) faster or as capaible video card? As in what manufacture/model number/type card working with my MoBo?

Again, thanks for the quick response guys (all who answered my question) - I would really like to use the PCIe controller I bought and the Intel series 510 (120GB SSD) I also purcgased for the 6GB/sec rated speed i.e. SATA-3 technology. Kevin

usb-smith

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Well - Firstly, thank you for clearing that issue up - If I could ask you guys, would you have any suggestions regarding replacing the (2) two 8800 SLI mode video cards with (1) faster or as capaible video card? As in what manufacture/model number/type card working with my MoBo?

Again, thanks for the quick response guys (all who answered my question) - I would really like to use the PCIe controller I bought and the Intel series 510 (120GB SSD) I also purcgased for the 6GB/sec rated speed i.e. SATA-3 technology. Kevin

usb-smith

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Thanks PyRee - What I ended up buying was the ASUS U3S6 PCI-Express controller. That card appears to have all the requirements I need and will be accomidated by my extra middle PCI-Express x16 slot that's open, remember I have (2) 8800's video cards in the first and third slot (EVGA dictates where you can mount the first card) - anyway, again, thanks for the insight, and your time - Happy Holidays to you & yours - Kevin