SATA 6.0 drive on SATA 3.0 mobo?

lkij38

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hi, sorry if this question has already been answered, but I was wondering if you can install a SATA 6.0 GB/s drive on a mobo only designed for SATA 3.0 GB/s. I remember that when SATA 3.0 GB/s first came out, they had jumper settings that you could use to reduce them to 1.5 GB/s to allow them on 1.5 GB/s mobos. I'm guessing that they'd do something similar, but I wasn't sure so I wanted to check.

Also, do current SAT 3.0 GB/s still have the jumper settings to drop them down to 1.5 GB/s? I'm thinking of rebuilding my old PC into a media server but the mobo is 1.5 GB/s.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, the SATA 6 Gb/s drive will work just fine with a SATA 3 Gb/s port. And you do NOT need to set any jumpers. In fact, it is possible on some SATA drives to create your own (temporary) problems by putting a jumper on the wrong pin set. But anyway, all SATA drives and controllers are supposed to negotiate their communication speed automatically and just work. Current ones do just that with no adjustments by you. The problem was only with certain early SATA 1.5 Gb/s controller chips, and does not occur in current products.

TRENDING THREADS