[SOLVED] SATA A/B

Feb 26, 2020
For weekly clones of my internal SATA drive, I use a neat little Startech standalone cloning device. I plug the backup SATA drive into the device's Destination port and remove my internal SATA drive and plug it into the Source port. This works fine but I want to minimize the plugging and unplugging of the Source drive (I do want to get the backup drive out of the computer entirely).

The simplest way would be an A/B switch, like we used to use for switching an RS232-C serial cable between two devices. Then I'd attach the SATA drive to the input port, the motherboard to the A output port and plug in temporarily the backup drive to the B port.

Maybe there's a better way. But the first problem is that I can't find any such switch. I can't even find a Y-splitter cable for the data part of the power-data package that SATA uses.

Any ideas?

Solution
If you want to avoid plugging/re-plugging, then you can get same cloning results with software (without using any standalone cloning devices).
Macrium Reflect can do that for you.

kanewolf

Titan
For weekly clones of my internal SATA drive, I use a neat little Startech standalone cloning device. I plug the backup SATA drive into the device's Destination port and remove my internal SATA drive and plug it into the Source port. This works fine but I want to minimize the plugging and unplugging of the Source drive (I do want to get the backup drive out of the computer entirely).

The simplest way would be an A/B switch, like we used to use for switching an RS232-C serial cable between two devices. Then I'd attach the SATA drive to the input port, the motherboard to the A output port and plug in temporarily the backup drive to the B port.

Maybe there's a better way. But the first problem is that I can't find any such switch. I can't even find a Y-splitter cable for the data part of the power-data package that SATA uses.

Any ideas?
To create "offline" backups, I use an external USB3 drive and when done copying to it, I eject it and then power it off.

Feb 26, 2020
To create "offline" backups, I use an external USB3 drive and when done copying to it, I eject it and then power it off.
I'm seeking a full, bootable clone, not just a backup. In the event of problems (software or hardware) I want to be able to remove my hard drive, swap in the clone (made before the problem arose, if it's a software problem), and just boot up and go.

Feb 26, 2020
If you want to avoid plugging/re-plugging, then you can get same cloning results with software (without using any standalone cloning devices).
Macrium Reflect can do that for you.
I started trying Macrium, but found its interface too difficult. So you are saying that if I put in the required learning time, I'll be able to get a full, bootable clone without removing anything? Would I have to boot from some external drive to do the cloning? Thanks for your help.