[SOLVED] Sata aesthetics - WIN10 Bootup issues.

Jul 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I want to move my physical SATA drive containing both system and boot partitions to a different SATA position in my PC which uses a BIOS motherboard with a 6 SATA connector block. I have already discovered after many hours how the SATA position is critical to where it was created when I attempted to tidy up the physical layout of my PC some time ago. I am so glad I placed both partitions on same drive after that experience.

I have already successfully moved the system and boot partitions to a new more appropriately sized SATA Drive using the MiniTool Partition Manager but find that this drive will only fire up Windows 10 if kept in the exact same SATA location it was created. I believe from other threads that this may be to do with the MBR pointer and that maybe the MiniTool Partition manager I used to migrate the OS system(Boot & System partitions) from its original drive/position to my desired SATA drive has updated the MBR in the process.

I appreciate that this is an aesthetic desire after all I do have a functioning system albeit that my System/Boot disk is not in my desired 1st position on the SATA connector block location.

I suppose I could use the Minitool Partition Manager to move the running OS system to an intermediate drive only to then put it back on the desired drive after moving that to my desired SATA position.

Kind regards Martin from the UK

As an aside, is it just me that thinks the naming of these partitions is back to front as many online conversations talk about the Boot partition containing the Widows files as the system disk! Anyway that's just me - or is it!!!

Solution
Hi everyone,

I want to move my physical SATA drive containing both system and boot partitions to a different SATA position in my PC which uses a BIOS motherboard with a 6 SATA connector block. I have already discovered after many hours how the SATA position is critical to where it was created when I attempted to tidy up the physical layout of my PC some time ago. I am so glad I placed both partitions on same drive after that experience.

I have already successfully moved the system and boot partitions to a new more appropriately sized SATA Drive using the MiniTool Partition Manager but find that this drive will only fire up Windows 10 if kept in the exact same SATA location it was created. I believe from other threads that this...
Jul 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have already successfully moved the system and boot partitions to a new more appropriately sized SATA Drive using the MiniTool Partition Manager but find that this drive will only fire up Windows 10 if kept in the exact same SATA location it was created. I believe from other threads that this may be to do with the MBR pointer and that maybe the MiniTool Partition manager I used to migrate the OS system(Boot & System partitions) from its original drive/position to my desired SATA drive has updated the MBR in the process.

I appreciate that this is an aesthetic desire after all I do have a functioning system albeit that my System/Boot disk is not in my desired 1st position on the SATA connector block location.

I suppose I could use the Minitool Partition Manager to move the running OS system to an intermediate drive only to then put it back on the desired drive after moving that to my desired SATA position.

Kind regards Martin from the UK

As an aside, is it just me that thinks the naming of these partitions is back to front as many online conversations talk about the Boot partition containing the Widows files as the system disk! Anyway that's just me - or is it!!!

Just want to let everyone know that I have now solved this.

IT WAS THE MBR pointing to a hardware specific location for the BOOT partition (Windows directory etc.) files, So although the physical disk containing both had been moved to a new SATA connection the MBR when read by the Bootup procedure pointed to the wrong physical location for the BOOT partition. At this point the system just stops on a blue screen with an error message indicating it cannot find the necessary files.

The solution I employed was to create a Bootable Flash Drive using MiniTool Partition Manager. This creates a drive that you can boot to and provides the necessary MiniTool Partition Manager program on it.

I then shutdown my PC, moved the connection of my SATA drive to the desired block on my motherboard and booted to the flash drive.
I ran the Minitool Partition Manager from the options listed and switched to it. This recognised both the SATA Drive and the Flash Drive which contained the "C" partition.

I then selected the SATA drive (showing as "E") within the Minitool Partition Manager and using the DISK options selected MBR Rebuild. This is quicker than a blink of an eye.

Trusting it had done what was required I shut down and removed my Bootable Flash Drive and booted up the system. It is now running from the SSD connected to my Motherboard in the first connector block rather than the third it had been tied to. I can now organise the rest of my drives within my PC to my satisfaction.

Thanks for looking

Solution

TRENDING THREADS