SATA and multiboot question

I am new to SATA and want to add another drive to my system. I already have
a 160GB SATA and want to add another SATA drive that I want to boot another
OS from. The OS's are all various versions of Windows but I have been told
that a second SATA drive cannot be booted from. Only the first (drive 0) can
be booted from. Is this information accurate?

FWIW there are 2 SATA plugs on the MB so I assume (always dangerous) that
the second drive becomes SATA drive 1.

Regards,
John O.

John O <jo@nospam.ca> wrote

> I am new to SATA and want to add another drive to my system. I already have a
> 160GB SATA and want to add another SATA drive that I want to boot another OS
> from. The OS's are all various versions of Windows but I have been told that a
> second SATA drive cannot be booted from. Only the first (drive 0) can be
> booted from. Is this information accurate?

Nope. Even if the motherboard bios doesnt allow you to
boot from the second SATA drive, a boot manager can.

> FWIW there are 2 SATA plugs on the MB so I assume (always dangerous) that the
> second drive becomes SATA drive 1.

Normally that is correct.

Thanks for the information!

Regards,
John O.

> John O <jo@nospam.ca> wrote
>
>> I am new to SATA and want to add another drive to my system. I already
>> have a 160GB SATA and want to add another SATA drive that I want to boot
>> another OS from. The OS's are all various versions of Windows but I have
>> been told that a second SATA drive cannot be booted from. Only the first
>> (drive 0) can be booted from. Is this information accurate?
>
> Nope. Even if the motherboard bios doesnt allow you to
> boot from the second SATA drive, a boot manager can.
>
>> FWIW there are 2 SATA plugs on the MB so I assume (always dangerous) that
>> the second drive becomes SATA drive 1.
>
> Normally that is correct.

TRENDING THREADS