Question Sata Data Cable

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Hi all

Please can someone tell me which sata data cable from Hdd to motherboard is good to buy,its very confusing as these are all the ones ive seen online.
i have a Seagate Barracuda 3tb 3.5

Sata Cable No Clip
SATA Cable 90 Degree Latch Type
SATA Cable - Short Right-Angled (90 degrees) Connector, 0.2m
SATA Cable - Latching, Right-Angled (90 degrees) Connector, 0.2m

what is the difference between Sata3 and normal Sata?The only brands i can find are baobab

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I use these:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812422652&Description=sata cable&cm_re=sata_cable--12-422-652--Product
ZKjoWYx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
SATA 3 is just the current revision. It’s been around for so long that some manufacturers don’t bother specifying and just use “SATA”. SATA 2 and 3 cables are physically and electronically the same, anyway.

You can get them with or without clips; most will have them. The 90-degree cables are the same, they just make it easier to install a drive in a tight space.

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
SATA 3 is just the current revision. It’s been around for so long that some manufacturers don’t bother specifying and just use “SATA”. SATA 2 and 3 cables are physically and electronically the same, anyway.

You can get them with or without clips; most will have them. The 90-degree cables are the same, they just make it easier to install a drive in a tight space.
I no what you mean by that. But sata 2 vs sata 3 is totally different in terms of data transfer. Sata 2 is about 3gb/s and sata3 is 6gb/s that’s what I just read up. But are they pretty much all the same? Because you get some which are so cheap and others which are 3 times the price

popatim

Titan
There is no such thing as a Sata3 cable. Sata 3 is the interface spec. There has been no change to the cable spec since Sata was introduced. Cables that can't perform at Sata3 speeds never met the official cable spec to begin with.

I prefer the straight cables with the clips myself esp after having several right angle ones crack at the connector on the drive end and causing the drive to not show up anymore.

obi1kenobi

Great
Jan 13, 2019
Im so confused because Not all Hdmi cables are the same, Standard, Standard with ethernet, High Speed, and High Speed with ethernet. Standard cables are rated for 720p and 1080i signals High Speed cable for 3D. Im not sure what you mean by that regarding sata cables because i read up and theres black and red

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.