SATA Drive At Risk

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
In Windows XP SP3 Disk Management, my D drive shows as Online (with errors) and Healthy (at risk). I ran chkdsk d: /f but there were 0 bytes in bad sectors. It has two WD Caviar SE / SE16 250GB SATA disks in an Intel Matrix Storage RAID 1/RAID 0. The board is an Asus P5AD2 Deluxe, 925x chipset and Intel's 82801FR controller hub (ICH6R).

So I dont know if its a HDD/RAID problem or Windows.

I took it out of RAID made. I used Western Digital's Diag504fCD.iso to make a bootable DVD. When I boot to it, all I get is Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 and an A prompt. Nothing about any WD diagnostics.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
It doesnt work in Windows because it is in RAID mode.

bhxuzy643fxickyj6zee.jpg

884px6iko6b77gd5w1b.jpg

I took it out of RAID, of course it cant boot, so each physical drive could be tested.

Ok, your first post said you had it out of raid mode so I assumed you tossed it into a different system.

When you got to the DOS prompt, did you type in "dir" without the quotes to see what files/programs are on the DVD? Look for any .exe files and run it.

Edit:

I'd download it again. I don't see any Diag504fCD.iso on the page you have linked above. Even their DOS version is DLGDiagv519.zip

Yeah, that doesn't look right. Try downloading their DOS version DLGDiagv519.zip. The thing is I'm not sure it will work anyhow. Some of these diagnostics only work when the bios is set to IDE mode, not AHCI or RAID. you'll just have to give it a try.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I tried that. On extraction, the only file is DLGDiag519.exe. Cant use it in Windows and cant boot to it. In the BIOS, its either configure SATA as RAID or configure SATA as IDE.

Well, I found the version you were looking at. It's here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=30&lang=en

I don't know what to say. According to their instructions it should work.

1. Diagnostics Bootable CD: Download the Diag504fCD.zip or Diag504fCD.iso file to your desktop.
2. Extract the Diag504fCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately you have the option to download the iso version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).
3. You will see a new file named Diag504fCD.iso on your desktop.
4. You must use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to burn a CD from the .ISO image.
5. You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in your BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.
6. You will see the following options:
* SELECT DRIVE - Always choose this option first, as it determines which drive you will be working on.
* QUICK TEST - This option tests your drive quickly for any major physical problems. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
* EXTENDED TEST - This option checks your drive thoroughly and it can repair any correctable errors. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, some data loss may occur, depending on the errors found and the errors corrected. Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
* WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE - The Write Zeros option, wipes any and all data off your drive. This option used when your data is no longer usable or recoverable. If you no longer need any data from your drive and would like to start over, run this option to set your drive to an as new condition. NOTE: Please make sure that you have selected the correct drive to perform this function on as once ran, no data will be recoverable.
* VIEW TEST RESULTS - You can see the results of the test you just performed
* PRINT TEST RESULTS - Test results can be printed with this option. USB printers are not supported
* LOG FILE OPEN/CLOSE - You can access the log file which is generated automatically
* ENTER AND PRINT RMA INFORMATION - Information pertaining to each drive tested can be customized and printed with this option.
* HELP - Brief descriptions of each option in addition to explanations of error codes are available in this option.
* QUIT - Reboot your system once you have completed the selected tasks
7. Select the task you wish to perform.

Ok, I just downloaded both the Diag504fCD.iso and the Diag504fCD.zip files. The zip file just conatins the iso file. The iso file is not what you have listed above. It includes DLGDIAG5.exe in it and it's using IBMDOS to boot.

The dlgdiag5.exe is what you want to run.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Obviously, I dont work for NASA.

Before I posted, I used Nero and Diag504fCD.iso to make a bootable DVD. One file was burned to the disk called BootImage.img, that didnt work.

Then...
m72dpmusp41y1nvy1pts.jpg

The files in MY_DISK and My Disc are the same. In "Bootable Disc", the 2 files are BootCatalog.cat and Arnes Boot Record.img

I extracted the the 5 files in the ISO and burned them to a disk.

DLGDIAG5.EXE
DLGDIAG.TXT
DLGLICE.TXT
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM

Same results.

Ok, those are the correct files, but you don't want to extract them from the .iso file Do not use the bootable cd/dvd option either. Do not use the "wizard" in nero, bypass it. In nero, there should be an option to "Burn ISO". It's been a while since I used nero, so it may not read exactly like that. This should burn the iso to the cd/dvd correctly and allow it to boot.

Edit: Actually in some versions of nero, the "burn iso" function can also be found in the "backup" part of the wizard.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Clearly, there is a problem here. This is a list of the burns I made using Diag504fCD.iso with the result for each one. The machine will boot to none of them. Yes, the DVD drive is first in the boot order and yes, Ive made sure its in IDE mode and not RAID mode.

Nero Express
disc image = the 5 files

Nero Burning ROM
DVD ISO = Diag504fCD.iso
Bootable DVD = Bootimage.img
DVD UDF/ISO = Diag504fCD.iso
Burn ISO = the 5 files

Just kill me.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I was using the computer last night and shut it down. I forgot the DVD was in it when I started it up today. And low and behold, it booted to the DVD, the one with the IBMDOS on it. The only difference was the HDDs were still in RAID mode! I guess it makes sense. The real 'boot order' is firmware - DVD-ROM - HDD. The Matrix RAID controller is in firmware on the board. This is just a guess, but when the HDDs were taken out of the RAID set, the diag was thrown off by the mirror and the stripe set and defaulted back to the OS on the DVD. Or not.

Tested both drives with the quick test and the extended test - no errors found. Windows still says there is a problem.

wfs9sfrv6sd8q6ehkj3z.jpg

Well, you can try using a utility like HDTune to check the drive's SMART values, but I don't know if HDTune can check a drive that is in RAID.

Did you create that disk as a dynamic volume instead of a basic volume? I don't use dynamic volumes very much at all, so I don't know if that can have an effect on it.

Also, this may not be a disk issue. This may simply be an error the RAID controller is throwing out, in which case it is a RAID or software problem, not a physical hard disk problem.

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Yeah I tried HDTune, cant read a RAID drive. Why it is a dynamic disk is a good question, I dont remember doing that.

Im gonna try TestDisk It's supposed to be able to convert dynamic disks back to basic disks.

I searched for Intel Matrix Storage test utilities, but was unsuccessful.

EDIT: I'm a little squeamish about converting it back. :sweat: What are the risks if I dont?

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

Im sure theres a way to save all this to a file that I could copy and paste, but not knowing that, I did this by hand, so if something doesnt look right, thats why. Obviously, theres a problem under PCI RAID devices, only one of the WD drives is there. Past that, Im clueless o_0

HDAT2 v4.8.1 (c) 2010 CBL

BUS= 0, Device=31, Function=2
BUS= 1, Device=4, Function=0
BUS= 1, Device=5, Function=0
BUS= 4, Device=0, Function=1

1. BaseClass: Storage, SubClass: IDE
BaseClass = 01h SubClass = 01h Programming Interface = 8ah
Bus =01, Device =31, Function = 1, Header Type = 00h
Host: Vendor ID = 8086h, Device ID = 266Fh. revision = 03h
Host Vendor Name: Intel Corporation
Subsytem: Vendor ID = 1043h, Device ID = 80A6h
Subsytem Vendor Name: ASUSTek Computer Inc
Address 4: I/O Port = 0000FFA0h
Primary channel: I/O Port 01F0h, IRQ 14 (compatability mode)
Secondary channel: I/O Port 0170h, IRQ 15 (compatability mode)
Bus Master: supported, enabled
Bus Master Control Register : 00A0h
Built-in Self Test: not supported

PCI ATA devices:

Manufacturer : Intel
Product Name : Intel XP_DATA
Device Type : Base/Sub/Interface = 00h/04h/01h

3. ROM address D000h:4800h, Size = 18 KB
PCI header:
Vendor ID : 1095h -> Silicon Image Inc/ CMD Technology Inc
Device ID : 3114h
Class Code: 00h/04h/01h -> unknown/undefined
$PnP expansion header:
Device ID : EHP1431
Manufacturer : U┐$Θ≥wSILICON IMAGE
Product Name : U┐$Θ≥wSILICON IMAGE
Device Type : Base/Sub/Interface = 01h/00h/00h

Floppy drive detect:

CMOS detected 1 Floppy Drive(s)
BIOS detected 2 Floppy Drive(s)
1. Floppy drive: 3 1/2 1.44 MB

4. BaseClass: Storage, SubClass: RAID
BaseClass = 01h SubClass = 04h Programming Interface = 00h
Bus = 1, Device =5, Function = 0, Header Type = 00h
Host: Vendor ID = 1095h, Devivre ID = 3114h. revision = 02h
Host Vendor Name: Silicon Image Inc/CMD Technology Inc
Subsytem: Vendor ID = 1043h, Device ID = 8136h
Subsytem Vendor Name: ASUSTek Computer Inc
Address 0: I/O Port = 0000BC00h
Address 1: I/O Port = 0000B880h
Address 2: I/O Port = 0000B800h
Address 3: I/O Port = 0000B480h
Address 4: I/O Port = 0000B400h
Address 5: I/O Port = Memory Adrress = D7DFFC00h (32-bit space 4 GB)
Size of Expansion ROM = 512 KB
System IRQ 10, INT#A
Bus Master: not supported

PCI RAID devices:

Device on port 0: PATA
Device on port 1: NONE
Device on port 2: NONE
Device on port 3: PATA
Max. number of ports: 4
Available ports : 4

AHCI status: disabled
[2/0 9C00h/9882h/3] WDC WD2500JD-00GBB0
[2/1 9C00h/9882h/3]
Error reading of the IDENTIFY DEVICE data
Error code 32: Device should be ready to transfer data but DRQ=0

[3/0 9800h/9482h/3] disabled or not present
[3/1 9800h/9482h/3]

I ran it again and got this at the end of 4. BaseClass: Storage, SubClass: RAID

Address 5: I/O Port = Memory Adrress = D5FFFC00h (32-bit space 4 GB)
System IRQ 3, INT#B
Bus Master: not supported