Question SATA Drive, Bad Drive Then Not?

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I have a Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004-2CV1 SATA 4TB hard drive:
https://www.newegg.com/seagate-barracuda-st4000dm004-4tb/p/N82E16822179299
I ordered it on 6/17/2021 so just over a month ago. (Btw, it has been partitioned into two 2TB NTFS partitions. NOT an OS/boot drive.) It's been working fine, then my cat stepped over the surge protector my computers are plugged into and knocked the power switch off. After turning my computers back on, this drive did not show up in file explorer, and unallocated in disk manager. I did try a warm reboot, but that did not resolve the issue. I did some scans with some partition recovery software, but did actually get anywhere beyond scans. I finally decided to shut down the computer and do a cold boot. When I did this, the drive magically returned to working order with my 2 partitions back as they were.

I'm going to do a full checkdisk scan of this drive overnight to make sure everything is ok. Since I haven't had the drive that long, I can easily get an RMA for it. Is there really an issue with this drive, or is it just some Windows 10 quirk? (I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 btw.)

Blame, chastise, and beat the cat, and , reposition or shield your surge protector's power switch to prevent recurring issues.

If the drive is working, I'd not bother returning it just because of 'where did it go' glitch that was of 'your cat's making'.. :)

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Blame, chastise, and beat the cat, and , reposition or shield your surge protector's power switch to prevent recurring issues.

If the drive is working, I'd not bother returning it just because of 'where did it go' glitch that was of 'your cat's making'.. :)
Is there any known reason/source of the " 'where did it go' glitch" ? I know I'm not the only one to encounter this phenomena, and I've seen similar things with other drives. I can't really even say I'm overly surprised that doing a cold boot restored things. It's just helpful to know if this is a "known issue" thing that can be pointed to for future reference.