SATA Drive (not system) not recognized by Windows

Miketee3333

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello, I had a system crash with windows xp, so I reloaded it. I have 4 ide disks and one SATA. The problem is the SATA is loaded with data that I need, but the system won't recognize it. I've loaded the proper motherboard driver, and set the bios, but the only thing that will find it is the WD data disk, which wants to reformat it because it says it is in RAID mode. Obviously, I don't want to lose all my data by doing a format on the drive. How can I at least transfer the data? Or am I totally screwed?

Solution
Apparently when you reinstalled Windows, you did not reset everything exactly as it was. Unless you can remember this, my best advice would be to get one of the aftermarket external USB boxes. I have one of these, although I got it on sale elsewhere for $10 a while back. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159075

Assuming you have room, you can transfer the data to another drive and then reformat the WD and put it back in the mix.

tlmck

Distinguished
Apparently when you reinstalled Windows, you did not reset everything exactly as it was. Unless you can remember this, my best advice would be to get one of the aftermarket external USB boxes. I have one of these, although I got it on sale elsewhere for $10 a while back. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159075

Assuming you have room, you can transfer the data to another drive and then reformat the WD and put it back in the mix.

Solution

Miketee3333

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

It was set already, the bios settings didn't change when I reloaded XP. It actually detected it once after I loaded the driver, then when I clicked on a file it said data was lost or something like that. The error message flashed and then went away, along with the hard drive detection.

Miketee3333

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

I did this, it detected the drive and shows no problems, I bought a new 750 GB Sata drive and I'm transferring the data now just in case. Then I'll probably reformat the old drive and see if everything works. Thanks.