SATA drive to replace IDE?

bingojesus

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi. New here, hope you can help.

I have an old (2002) Evesham with an Athlon XP2200+, 512 mb ram, a CD/RW IDE drive, an IDE DVD/RW drive and a (failing, I think) 100gB IDE HDD. Running XP Home.

My questions are: can I replace the existing IDE HDD with a new SATA HDD? Will I need an adaptor? Is there a limit to the capacity? Or - am I better fitting a new IDE drive, and if so am I limited to a certain size (capacity)?

It's not my primary computer any more, but if I can keep it going for a few more years it will be useful.

All advice gratefully received.

Martin

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

i'd be suprised if the athlon board doesnt have sata ports already.

while you can "Adapt" a sata drive to ide you would be better off getting a pcie sata controller to run the new drive. an inexpensive one should run about $50.
using a dedicated controller with bios you will not have any drive size limit unless the controller you get has one.

yea my MSI neo2 i got for my system in 2003 had a SATA port so its possible. get the make and model of your motherboard and see if it has the port or not. if not i would go also recommend getting a sata controller card for you PC so you do not have to worry about hitting a size limit with current hard drives

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Maximum data transfer rate on a standard 33 MHz pci buss with a 32 bit system would be 133MB/S
Switching to a sata drive may provide the potential for achieving that potential but it really would add to the cost and not provide a cost effective upgrade..... Unless cost is not an issue...
IMHO I would opt for a good ATA133 drive and it would offer about the same performance at a considerably lower cost. Just my 2 cents......