SATA drives and RAID....help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pat

Expert
Ah, I didn't know VIA didn't support that. Oh well.

VIA next chipset will support the full set of feature of the newer SATA specification. But not this one.

Wouldn't the 80GB be fine though? I thought RAID 1 just mirrored the data on the drives, so the OS install, etc, would be just fine if run off of 1 HDD? Would you relaly need to reinstall everything?

Granted, it would take care of any messes that the RAID put in, but if they just wiped the 160, they should be able to run off of the 80GB w/o having to reinstall...

If she can boot from the 80 gigs, by switching the connector, then fine, but I don't know.. a boot repair can fix it thou, but anyway, it is one of the many option to make it ...

I've never played with mirrored array, so I don't know how they behave .

debiy55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Ok.....this is what i've done so far...

unhooked the 80gig drive and deleted the partition with windows on the 160gig drive , then exited install.......

then i hooked up the 80gig drive and unhooked the 160....now i'm doing the install and its saying i can either repair the current windows installation or reinstall windows on top of it....

Should I just repair or what?

pat

Expert
Ok.....this is what i've done so far...

unhooked the 80gig drive and deleted the partition with windows on the 160gig drive , then exited install.......

then i hooked up the 80gig drive and unhooked the 160....now i'm doing the install and its saying i can either repair the current windows installation or reinstall windows on top of it....

Should I just repair or what?

At this point, the repair is worthless and will take as much time as a fresh install. A repair install is simply a fresh install with application and registry kept so you wont have to reinstall everything. I would do a fresh install, to remove any trace of RAID drivers..

debiy55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
All done!! I've got windows installed, updated and all the drivers loaded now and its showing both drives...I've got it partitioned and I've got most of the things I NEED installed and set up...now I'm going to image the drive and put it on my backup drive and I'm done! I love it!

Many, many thanks to all of you wonderful people for all your help! :D I couldn't have done it without you! :wink:

Deb

pat

Expert
All done!! I've got windows installed, updated and all the drivers loaded now and its showing both drives...I've got it partitioned and I've got most of the things I NEED installed and set up...now I'm going to image the drive and put it on my backup drive and I'm done! I love it!

Many, many thanks to all of you wonderful people for all your help! :D I couldn't have done it without you! :wink:

Deb

Great.. that was that bad after all!!

debiy55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
:?: Can you recommend a good backup utility? I used Drive Image in the past but can't get it to work on this machine with NTFS. What do you use?

pat

Expert
:?: Can you recommend a good backup utility? I used Drive Image in the past but can't get it to work on this machine with NTFS. What do you use?

I don't really backup anything but my personnal work or digital picture. My home movies are burned on dvd, digital picture ar on 2 drives and dvd ... mp3 are on my drives and don't care much about them.. and all my apps can be reinstalled from original CD or internet downloadable exe.

Sorry, I cannot help you on a good utility for backup..

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
When you say backup, what exactly do you want? Do you want to move specific data, or do you want to image the whole drive?

I use ghost to image, and robocopy to move specific data. Robocopy is a command line utility, but does what I want it to do.