Hey guys, looking for some advice.
Just did a new build;

ryzen 2600
asus tuf b450 plus gaming
16gb trident 3200
256 evo 970 m.2
evga 650watt psu
rx 580

My issue is that I can't get any sata hard drives to work properly or even show up (both in bios and disk manager) I have tried 2 different drives, both which i know to be good, 2 different cables, and 4 different sata ports. I checked power supply and felt/heard the disks spinning as well. I have updated bios to latest version, installed all available drivers from asus website and checked device manager for sata controller updates. Done windows troubleshooting and pretty much everything i could think of. Ive probably built a couple dozen machines before and never had this issue. This is a build im doing as a gift for my sister and brother in law, so im just hoping for an easy solution instead of tearing it apart again lol. Does anybody have any ideas? or had this issue? is the only option just it being a bad motherboard? ( everything else works perfectly ) and the m.2 drive works great btw. I tried googleing but "drive not detected" nets incredibly useless results lol.

Any random ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Are you trying to plug your sata drives into the SATA_5/6 ports? Check, check again - looks like the mostly likely problem to me (https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/):

The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed.

I know you tried 4 different ports, start with just one of the sata drives making sure that it's going into a sata port other than 5/6.

CrazyDingo

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Are you trying to plug your sata drives into the SATA_5/6 ports? Check, check again - looks like the mostly likely problem to me (https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PLUS-GAMING/specifications/):

The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed.

I know you tried 4 different ports, start with just one of the sata drives making sure that it's going into a sata port other than 5/6.

Solution
Oct 21, 2018

Thanks for the tip, I did account for that though unfortunately. I may end up trying every port individually though tomorrow just to be safe. Already tried the two on the side of the board and two from the main set. ( dont know what numbers they are)

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Are you running the SATA drives off the same Power Cable ? Some PSU's act up when more than one Hard Drive is connected to a line of Sata Power Adaptors, try using a seperate power cable for each drive and see if they show up, have had that happen on two different builds of my own.

Oct 21, 2018

That's a good idea too, I have only been trying one drive at a time tho. And it was the only device using the sata power strip. I appreciate the help tho.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Because your using an M.2 presumably for your boot drive i presume it is trying to boot in UEFI mode and not BIOS which means that the SATA contollers are likely set to UEFI mode and not Legacy to enable SATA detection. If you find they are already set to AHCI can you let me know what is set under the CSM screen please for each level (should be four or five settings - First should be set at Boot in UEFI and Legacy OPROM).

Oct 21, 2018

Can confirm. I thought the same thing. Ended up switching them back and forth to see if it wasn't registering. Same result. And I've tried factory reset on the bios mutiple times. That was a great suggestion though. Thanks

Oct 21, 2018

Launch csm _ enabled
Boot device control ... Uefi and legacy oprom
Boot from net ...legacy only
Boot from storage.... Legacy only
Boot from pcie device... Legacy only

Oct 21, 2018

Your time is greatly appreciated. I'm off to bed for tonight. I'll go back to working in this right when j get off work in the early afternoon.

Oct 21, 2018
in case anyone was wondering.... i ended up getting them working by reflashing the bios again. i believe i initially had the cables plugged into 5/6 sata ports which are taken up by the m.2 drive. i flashed the bios update and then tested all of the other ports which didnt work either. rebuilt everything, still nothing worked. then i just tried to force a bios update and they magically appeared after restart. thanks for all the tips!

CrazyDingo

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Great to hear, I like a happy ending!
You could be very generous and mark my post above as best solution, or you could give it to your own last post (since forcing the bios update was a necessary step, well spotted). Marking solved may help others looking up this problem in the future.