helpmesuperman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Okay so today I had a discussion with my friends about hard drives as one of them is getting a PC build tomorrow and still needs a hard drive. I told him to get a SATA drive then out of no where my other friends states "Oh you should get a black sata drive" and I was thinking "I don't think there are different types of sata drives" then I asked him what he meant. He said "Oh there's black, blue, and red sata drives black being the best one you can get" and I was extremely confused on what he meant by that. Are there different types of sata drives like this? I don't believe there is though from what I know about sata drives.

4745454b

Titan
It's how Western Digital (WD) labels their consumer drives. Green are the slow drives, blue mainstream and black as the fastest. I've never heard of a "red" drive.

Your best using a black of blue drive for your OS. I wouldn't put an OS on a green drive.

helpmesuperman

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

So this is basically just a one company thing they do to distinguish their models in terms of speed? Do any other companies do it that way? My friend made it seem like it was the most common thing to see in a retail store that sells computer parts. I've never seen any of these green, blue, or black drives before.