[SOLVED] Sata & ESata Question

Grenpara

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
Hello,

I want to add an 8 port sata card to my system but I have a question.
Can I use one of those conversion cables to turn one port into esata connector? (no Power needed)
I am buying a powered unit that needs a single esata connector which is why I ask.

Thanks in advance
Grenpara

Lutfij

Titan
Parse the make and model of the card, the motherboard and the conversion cables that you're speaking of. External SATA requires an additional power source and a port on the motherboard which is set to hotswap. The former will need a PSU capable of delivering power via the right connector while the latter will need you to go into BIOS and enable hotswap feature there>I'm speaking with relation to Intel's platform.

Last edited:

Grenpara

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
Parse the make and model of the card, the motherboard and the conversion cables that you're speaking of. External SATA requires an additional power source and a port on the motherboard which is set to hotswap. The former will need a PSU capable of delivering power via the right connector while the latter will need you to go into BIOS and enable hotswap feature there>I'm speaking with relation to Intel's platform.
Hello Lutfij,

Thanks for fast reply to my post, I appreciate it,

I purchased a 4 drive Probox made by MEdiaSonic model HF2-SU3S2 and it have own power.
I wont use usb as I have had problems in past with other usd drive bays.
So I need one esata port but if I am doing that I am buying a pcie 8 port sata card that supports port multiplier.

I will not require extra power for it.

I plan on making YT vids and will be storing on HDD's.
Motherboard of pc is a GD30CI made by ASUS RoG.
The HDD's will be IronWolf PRo 10 TB drives.

Thanks in advance
Grenpara

Grenpara

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
Instead of the MediaSonic Probox (I have one), why didn't you just go with a regular NAS?

Still a bit unclear where the actual video editing will be done, etc.
Please give us details about the whole system and configuration.

Hello,

I have several Video editing programs on window 10 pro retail.

The system is running a I7-7700 and 16gb memory (upgrading mem soon).
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1070 (will get better later).
An Elgato HD60 S on its way now.
Video Editing will be done and rendered on drive D: which will be an SSD (ordering soon have not decided on model yet).
External drives will be storage only for vids & content.

I will be upgrading whole system but not for awhile as system is pretty new but was for gaming.
Only decided to make vids for games in last month or so.

I never went with NAS as I have never used one and was not sure what would be good.
Since I had old Mediasonic years ago I remember how stable it was and I never had issues with it.
So I ordered a new one since old one died years ago.

Thanks
Grenpara