Question sata external ssd runs 100% load then disconnects

Aug 15, 2022
yesterday i purchased a drive enclosure for my sata ssd because i dont want to have it just laying around when its still running good, but i ran into some problems and probably the biggest one is that when its copying files for like a minute then it just stops, task manager shows 100% load and then it disconnects
im suspecting the external enclosure but other than that i have no clue what could be causing that

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Enclosure: make, model, where purchased? Does the enclosure have its' own independent power source?

Does the enclosure get very warm or even hot to the touch? Touch carefully!

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event when the load reaches 100% and the disconnection occurs.

Aug 15, 2022
Which ssd and which enclosure do you use exactly?
Try a different USB port,
Try a different pc, mobile phone, laptop,.. to rule yours out if possible

Check the ssd with its manufacturer's tool
its a kc600 512gb from kingston and the enclosure is orico 2169c3 (that might be the cause)
ive tried every usb-c and every usb-a port i have but it keeps happenning
happens even on my brothers macbook
i use a 60w rated cable but the input on the enclosure says its only 4.5 w, maybe that might be the case? i have no clue honestly

Aug 15, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Enclosure: make, model, where purchased? Does the enclosure have its' own independent power source?

Does the enclosure get very warm or even hot to the touch? Touch carefully!

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event when the load reaches 100% and the disconnection occurs.
i have a 2020 razer blade 15 advanced
ssd is kc600 from kingston, 86% lifetime and about halfway full (512 gb)
orico ( a chinese one ), purchased at the country largest retail shop, no it doesnt have its own independent power source
it doesnt get hot not in the slightest no
here is a picture of reliability history, it doesnt say much more than hardware error

View: https://imgur.com/ys7fpUW

Ralston18

Titan
System specs (per post #3)?

Take a screenshot of Reliability History showing the time line in Day's View.

The Critical Events listed suggests, to me anyway, that there are power problems - possibly a loose connection.

What do you see in Event Viewer? Event Viewer is not as user friendly but take a few minutes to navigate about, get a sense of the organization, and data being presented. Other error codes may be found.

Aug 15, 2022
System specs (per post #3)?

Take a screenshot of Reliability History showing the time line in Day's View.

The Critical Events listed suggests, to me anyway, that there are power problems - possibly a loose connection.

What do you see in Event Viewer? Event Viewer is not as user friendly but take a few minutes to navigate about, get a sense of the organization, and data being presented. Other error codes may be found.
i7 10875h
16gb ddr4
1x m.2 and the external drive
rtx 2070 super max-q
300hz
3x usb-a 3.1, 1x usb-c and 1x thunderbolt 3

this one right View: https://imgur.com/FA8EBUn

might be a loose connection on the enclosure port, ive tried many cables
there are all kinds of errors in event viewer
View: https://imgur.com/jD6RIan

View: https://imgur.com/fWU6y7R

View: https://imgur.com/o21VCRX

Ralston18

Titan
Clearly the problems began on August 13th.

Any particular changes to the computer on that day?

Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors suggest (to me anyway) that there is a power problem.

On the other hand, an initial power problem or some other happening could have corrupted files. Will set that aside for now.

= = = =

The first clue being that the Orico enclosure/disk (kc600) is not working on other computers such as your brother's macbook.

Is it possible to try the enclosure/disk on another (3rd) known working computer?

Try another known working SSD in the enclosure. Be aware that if the enclosure is the problem, then that test SSD could be corrupted.

Try the SSD in another known working computer without the enclosure.

Also what was the reason for the 60 watt cable? I have an Orico drive (Model 2189U3, 2.5", 5v, 900ma) and then enclosure came with its' own 1 meter cable.

Determine where the problem resides: host computer, disk, or enclosure.

I do not expect the problem to be the host computer: which leaves the disk, enclosure, or cable.

Aug 15, 2022
Clearly the problems began on August 13th.

Any particular changes to the computer on that day?

Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors suggest (to me anyway) that there is a power problem.

On the other hand, an initial power problem or some other happening could have corrupted files. Will set that aside for now.

= = = =

The first clue being that the Orico enclosure/disk (kc600) is not working on other computers such as your brother's macbook.

Is it possible to try the enclosure/disk on another (3rd) known working computer?

Try another known working SSD in the enclosure. Be aware that if the enclosure is the problem, then that test SSD could be corrupted.

Try the SSD in another known working computer without the enclosure.

Also what was the reason for the 60 watt cable? I have an Orico drive (Model 2189U3, 2.5", 5v, 900ma) and then enclosure came with its' own 1 meter cable.

Determine where the problem resides: host computer, disk, or enclosure.

I do not expect the problem to be the host computer: which leaves the disk, enclosure, or cable.
yes aug 13th i purchased the drive enclosure
no psu as its a laptop, 80wh battery and 270w power brick
yes we have a spare dell, will try that later but i have low hopes
dont have any other drives lying around, ive had few but i sold them
i only have laptops available on my hand
i have a lot of usb devices so i wanted to connect thru usb-c on the laptop, that cable is the only reversible usb-c cable i have
i dont expect the host computer to be the problem aswell
the disk should be fine, none of the files are corrupt and ive never had any issues with it when it resided in my old m-atx computer
like i said i dont think the cables are the problem, tried a bunch of different ones that are working with other devices but still, no luck

Ralston18

Titan
So - narrowing down to the enclosure it seems.....

"i have a lot of usb devices so i wanted to connect thru usb-c on the laptop, that cable is the only reversible usb-c cable i have " - that being the 60 watt cable?

Regarding "i have a lot of usb devices so i wanted to connect thru usb-c on the laptop, that cable is the only reversible usb-c cable i have "

Are you using an independently powered USB hub to connect the other USB devices?

However if there are problems with only the enclosure USB connected that makes the enclosure very suspect.

Take a look inside the case for anything that seems amiss. Also inspect the pins and socket. Re-seat the SSD .

Aug 15, 2022
So - narrowing down to the enclosure it seems.....

"i have a lot of usb devices so i wanted to connect thru usb-c on the laptop, that cable is the only reversible usb-c cable i have " - that being the 60 watt cable?

Regarding "i have a lot of usb devices so i wanted to connect thru usb-c on the laptop, that cable is the only reversible usb-c cable i have "

Are you using an independently powered USB hub to connect the other USB devices?

However if there are problems with only the enclosure USB connected that makes the enclosure very suspect.

Take a look inside the case for anything that seems amiss. Also inspect the pins and socket. Re-seat the SSD .
yes that being the 60w cable
no im not using any external hubs, only the ports on the laptop
i will closely inspect it now