Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to replace one Ultra ATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive in a
dell 4500 pc (has 2 hard drives). Aside from the hard drive, what
else do I need to purchase, if any, to add the SATA hard drive as the
master drive?

Since your Dell 4500 has not SATA controller, you will have to buy a SATA
PCI Card, and will most likely have to buy a new power supply with SATA
power connectors or dongles that will adapt existing drive power connectors
to SATA power connectors.

Bobby

<Rob> wrote in message news:h9kg71dlqhdgvkcl9e4tcif56ke2nargpt@4ax.com...
>I want to replace one Ultra ATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive in a
> dell 4500 pc (has 2 hard drives). Aside from the hard drive, what
> else do I need to purchase, if any, to add the SATA hard drive as the
> master drive?

In addition to my other response, it really does not make sense to replace
just one ATA HDD with SATA, and run them mixed. If you are gonna jump in,
jump in with both feet. For most apps, the speed of a SATA drive will not
have a significant impact. If you do video streaming, video encoding, audio
transcoding, or gaming, then SATA will be the way to go.
Also consider that SATA II is out, as well as NCQ on the standard ATA bus,
which makes NCQ drives on a mobo that supports it nearly as fast as SATA...

Bobby

<Rob> wrote in message news:h9kg71dlqhdgvkcl9e4tcif56ke2nargpt@4ax.com...
>I want to replace one Ultra ATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive in a
> dell 4500 pc (has 2 hard drives). Aside from the hard drive, what
> else do I need to purchase, if any, to add the SATA hard drive as the
> master drive?

<Rob> wrote in message news:h9kg71dlqhdgvkcl9e4tcif56ke2nargpt@4ax.com...
>I want to replace one Ultra ATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive in a
> dell 4500 pc (has 2 hard drives). Aside from the hard drive, what
> else do I need to purchase, if any, to add the SATA hard drive as the
> master drive?

Why? The benefit could never catch up to the cost.

Tom

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> will most likely have to buy a new power supply with SATA
> power connectors or dongles that will adapt existing drive power connectors
> to SATA power connectors.
>
> Bobby

The dongles work fine and can be had for $5 at Fry's or most computer
stores. I do agree that there's no point to going SATA, esp. if you're
mixing it with a parallel ATA drive. Heck, even when you're not mixing
it, you don't gain much from SATA in non-RAID setups (SATA gives you
more bandwith than most drives can handle).

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:41:13 -0500, Rob wrote:

>I want to replace one Ultra ATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive in a
>dell 4500 pc (has 2 hard drives). Aside from the hard drive, what
>else do I need to purchase, if any, to add the SATA hard drive as the
>master drive?

Thanks to all who replied. As some mentioned, there was no reason to
go to a SATA drive as I found out after posting my orig post so I
didn't.

Quick question now, is the PATA drives compatible for the dell 4700's
or above (not sure what the current model is now) ? Will they plug
right in or do I need a board for these drives in the current dell
desktops?

Sort of. There is a PATA connector, but only one, so you can have two total
drives (CD/DVD and Hard drives).

Tom

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> writes:
>Sort of. There is a PATA connector, but only one, so you can have two total
>drives (CD/DVD and Hard drives).

And you can also buy a $20-$40 PCI PATA controller to put some more in.

I've got a few 4700's configured with the extra PCI card, 2 PATA drives on it,
1 SATA drive, and 1 CD on the on board PATA.

Also extra fans - these get hot.

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:57:34 -0500, bugs@pu.net (Mark Hittinger)
wrote:

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> writes:
>>Sort of. There is a PATA connector, but only one, so you can have two total
>>drives (CD/DVD and Hard drives).
>
>And you can also buy a $20-$40 PCI PATA controller to put some more in.
>
>I've got a few 4700's configured with the extra PCI card, 2 PATA drives on it,
>1 SATA drive, and 1 CD on the on board PATA.
>
>Also extra fans - these get hot.
>
>Later
>
>Mark Hittinger
>bugs@pu.net

Mark, how do the extra fans hook up inside? Sounds like a good idea
to have extra fans.

Rob writes:
>Mark, how do the extra fans hook up inside? Sounds like a good idea
>to have extra fans.

What I am doing is buying whats called "PC case fan" (dell #A0389865) and
putting it in an unused slot (where there is not a PCI connector anyhow)
in the back.

The power for that fan just piggy backs on to one of the PATA hard drive
power connectors.

With one fan in the case the average hard drive temperature during idling
drops from about 120F to around 114F.

I don't know that there is much that we can really do for the cpu but it
does bother me when the disks run hot. A second case fan in the box is
only able to pull the average hard drive temperature down to 111F - half
the "gain" of the first fan.

When number crunching is going on with the 4700 cpu (so that its heat goes
to the max) the average hard drive temperature will run to 129F even with
two fans in the case.

This is something that everyone with a 4700 ought to look into.

There are some other fans that can be put directly on to the hard drives
and I may have to try that soon. The SATA drives run much hotter than
the PATA drives.

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net

"Mark Hittinger" <bugs@pu.net> wrote in message
> Rob writes:
>>Mark, how do the extra fans hook up inside? Sounds like a good idea
>>to have extra fans.
>
> What I am doing is buying whats called "PC case fan" (dell #A0389865) and
> putting it in an unused slot (where there is not a PCI connector anyhow)
> in the back.
>
> The power for that fan just piggy backs on to one of the PATA hard drive
> power connectors.
>
> With one fan in the case the average hard drive temperature during idling
> drops from about 120F to around 114F.
>
> I don't know that there is much that we can really do for the cpu but it
> does bother me when the disks run hot. A second case fan in the box is
> only able to pull the average hard drive temperature down to 111F - half
> the "gain" of the first fan.
>
> When number crunching is going on with the 4700 cpu (so that its heat goes
> to the max) the average hard drive temperature will run to 129F even with
> two fans in the case.
>
> This is something that everyone with a 4700 ought to look into.
>
> There are some other fans that can be put directly on to the hard drives
> and I may have to try that soon. The SATA drives run much hotter than
> the PATA drives.
>
> Later
>
> Mark Hittinger
> bugs@pu.net

I think that this is all very interesting - fascinating even.

What I've not heard/read/seen is a post from anyone who owns a 4700
attributing hard disk failure directly or indirectly to heat.

Try running the system with the side cover off - what are your temps at that
point?

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in

> I think that this is all very interesting - fascinating even.

Indeed. I manage seven HP/Compaq servers across two schools. We just
got an E-mail from our Network Operations Center saying that engineers
are going to be coming out to install BIOS updates on the servers.
Apparently the old BIOS was causing the fans to spin too slowly under
certain circumstances which caused premature hardware failures. I had
heard from a couple of my collegues that they were having seemingly
unexplained sudden hard drive failures prior to this notice of the BIOS
upgrades.

I've always wondered on a home PC how good the air circulation really
is. With only two fans (processor and power supply) in a room that
isn't too hot already should be OK? Or not? Perhaps the average PC
should have a thrid fan. Perhaps some do, but the ones I've seen at
school and the Dells I've owned don't.

Mike

> What I've not heard/read/seen is a post from anyone who owns a 4700
> attributing hard disk failure directly or indirectly to heat.
>
> Try running the system with the side cover off - what are your temps
> at that point?
>

> Stew

"Mark Hittinger" <bugs@pu.net> wrote in message news:uKSdncW7QeavEebfRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> Rob writes:
>>Mark, how do the extra fans hook up inside? Sounds like a good idea
>>to have extra fans.
>
> What I am doing is buying whats called "PC case fan" (dell #A0389865) and
> putting it in an unused slot (where there is not a PCI connector anyhow)
> in the back.

I can't find a picture of that fan. Is it a real PCI slot fan, something
along the lines of what is pictured here?

http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/cooling/pciroundup/

> I don't know that there is much that we can really do for the cpu but it
> does bother me when the disks run hot. A second case fan in the box is
> only able to pull the average hard drive temperature down to 111F - half
> the "gain" of the first fan.
>
> When number crunching is going on with the 4700 cpu (so that its heat goes
> to the max) the average hard drive temperature will run to 129F even with
> two fans in the case.

Normally I would expect to see the highest HD temp when said HD is
under heavy load for awhile, such as when continuously running a HD
benchmarking program. When running a CPU benchmarking program
(preferably a pure math one as opposed to one that taxes main memory
and/or graphics card) and no other apps to speak of, I would expect
the drives to be mostly idle and significantly below their peak temps.
A reversed CPU fan changes the equation a bit, but in any case, have
you checked each HD temp while benchmarking it?

BTW, what CPU and graphics solution?

"M. Hale" <mjhale@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in
>

>> I think that this is all very interesting - fascinating even.
>
> Indeed. I manage seven HP/Compaq servers across two schools. We just
> got an E-mail from our Network Operations Center saying that engineers
> are going to be coming out to install BIOS updates on the servers.
> Apparently the old BIOS was causing the fans to spin too slowly under
> certain circumstances which caused premature hardware failures. I had
> heard from a couple of my collegues that they were having seemingly
> unexplained sudden hard drive failures prior to this notice of the BIOS
> upgrades.
>
> I've always wondered on a home PC how good the air circulation really
> is. With only two fans (processor and power supply) in a room that
> isn't too hot already should be OK? Or not? Perhaps the average PC
> should have a thrid fan. Perhaps some do, but the ones I've seen at
> school and the Dells I've owned don't.
>
> Mike

Gamers typically build (those who choose to air cool) systems with
well-ventilated cases and lots of fans.

While I game rarely, I built my system on that principle. 7 fans when the
PS fan and GPU fan are included.

Noisy as hell, but very very cool :)

Stew

On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:41:13 -0500, Rob wrote:

>I want to replace one Ultra ATA hard drive with a SATA hard drive in a
>dell 4500 pc (has 2 hard drives). Aside from the hard drive, what
>else do I need to purchase, if any, to add the SATA hard drive as the
>master drive?

You've been told what you need. I should tell you that on my 8200
SATA and Parallel ATA would not work together. I don't know why and
I've never seen anyone else reporting this, so donno.

I bought a USB cage to read my old drive with, so all is well. I love
the extra speed you get from SATA, so go for it.

Remember you'll need to create a driver floppy and have it handy when
you reinstall Windows. The manual for your card should explain this.

Good Luck!
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

> Remember you'll need to create a driver floppy and have it handy when
> you reinstall Windows. The manual for your card should explain this.

Many new computers don't have a floppy drive. What alternatives are
available for installing the SATA drivers?

Brian

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:49:29 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4
REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Many new computers don't have a floppy drive. What alternatives are
>available for installing the SATA drivers?
>
>Brian

You could try burning the drivers to a CD, but I have my doubts.

Well, if you've spent over $100 for drives, cables and PCI card,
what's another $10 or so for a floppy? Or snag one off an old
computer for nothing.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

I have one. I wondered what people do who don't have a floppy drive.