[SOLVED] SATA HDD 3.5'' not seen in Disk Management and Explorer but only in BIOS and Device Manager

May 25, 2020
Hi,

I have a MB code GA-Z170X-UD3 with 2 NVME (M2) slots, one occupied for quite some time (970 Evo) and the 2nd one occupied yesterday (Sabrent new hdd system since yesterday replacing my former SATA HDD 2.5'' disk system - upon reinstalling windows the 3TB SATA HDD was listed as potential installing drive), which resulted in no longer being detected my sole SATA HDD WD RED 3.5'' 3tb full of fata/non system drive (code WD30EFRX). As per MB sheet I should have 2 SATA out of 6 still usable (SATA 3_4 and SATA_3_5) which seems not be the case.

You can see attached that SATA HDD is detected in DEVICE MANAGER (no driver issues), BIOS (checked) but not in Disk Management and Device Manager which makes it unusable. On the other hand if I connect any of my 2 DVDRW on SATA 3_4 and SATA_3_5 they work just fine (but HDD not).

PSU is 750W cORSAIR rm750i - no issues (on board GPU) and HDD is spinning fine.

4 relevant attachments:
https://ibb.co/1bGDDxC
https://ibb.co/R0mW08k

Any solution in this topic?

Solution
You reinstalled windows.
Dynamic disks become foreign and have to be imported after this.

Don't use dynamic disks, if you want to avoid such situations.
You have Dynamic Foreign Disk 0 in Disk Management.
Right-click on it and choose Import Foreign Disk.

25.2BE0.gif

May 25, 2020
Tks a lot for the valuable help!

As a final thought (even if MB topic/ pls agree), re. AHCI MATRIX/SATA CONTROLLER enclosed, isn't it right that also SATA3_1 and SATA 3_2 should work even with those 2 NVME active? however, if I connect the 2nd DVDRW one these 2 SATA, DVDRW is not detected.

Now I can use as follows:

SATA3_0 not usable as per matrix (due to M2A M2)
SATA3_1 not usable with 2nd DVDRW even if it should work
SATA3_2 not usable with 2nd DVDRW even if it should work
SATA3_3 not usable as per matrix (due to M2D M2)
SATA3_4 = HDD
SATA3_5= 1st DVDRW

KR.