SATA HDD - Cannot get drivers to load

wolfdog54

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hey everyone - I am in need of some help, details below.

I am building a workstation atm for my grandmother -

Spec's -
Mobo - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 AMD 990FX AM3+
PCU - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3Ghz
HDD - WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G

The problem Im having is with the HDD - I only have the one 500GB at the moment, so I wanna set it up as SATA, not RAID.

The HDD came with drivers loaded on a disk. When I try to install Windows 7, It asks me to find the HDD, so I click load Drivers, then get the ones necessary (SATA 64bit) from the DRVBOOT folder on the disk (that the MOBO came with)

It recognizes the .inf file (compatible with my system) and attempts to load it. It fails and does not load successfully, otherwise I should see my HDD there correct?

My BIOS Settings (in the Integrated Peripherals) I have everything set so it should be running SATA. (Not IDE)

Important to note - I do not have a floppy drive.

Thanks in advance!

Please feel free to ask for more information, Im a bit frustrated with this - I also have downloaded the latest drivers from Gigabyte (they are .exe 's ) but the WIN7 setup does not recognize them and cant find them.

Solution
Win 7 setup should have all the SATA drivers you need to install Windows, you should not have to supply or worry about anything. This was a problem with XP, native SATA drivers were added to the OS since Vista. After the Windows install is done, then insert the motherboard disk and run the install program to install all the motherboard drivers. (just make sure the bios is set to AHCI mode for the SATA ports before you start the install)

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
For starters, little overkill for a grandmothers performance needs, but never the less...
Your driver CD is probably only in a 32bit format, when you load it the disc should give you the option to load 32/64... most do, although because your running windows 7 just preform a windows update, that will pick up most of your drivers. From there pick up any remaining drivers that didn't install if need be.

wolfdog54

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for the reply - Here are some other things

I currently do NOT have Windows 7 installed (this is my only HDD, so im trying to get it installed on this :D)

I try to load the #64bit drivers and they fail.

Also... She does a ton of work in Auto CAD + does a lot of 3D modeling, and she specified to me what she wanted based on some of my current computers ;)

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Ok, yea.. I know for sure that Revit is extremely Cpu reliant, but just using A-Cad I would say you got your self a good build.

I'm not quite sure I understand, you are saying that you don't have Windows installed but the drivers are failing to load on... You need to load windows on the HDD before you can apply the drivers.

Win 7 setup should have all the SATA drivers you need to install Windows, you should not have to supply or worry about anything. This was a problem with XP, native SATA drivers were added to the OS since Vista. After the Windows install is done, then insert the motherboard disk and run the install program to install all the motherboard drivers. (just make sure the bios is set to AHCI mode for the SATA ports before you start the install)

Solution