Question SATA HDD Not Recognised in Windows however is displayed in BIOS

HST_James6666

Honorable
Apr 7, 2014
Hello All,

So currently I run Windows off of a 1TB MX300 and I use some SSD's in RAID 0 for general games etc. While I don't really record my gameplay I do like the idea of having shadowplay running just incase, so rather than having it write to the SSD's I have been using an old 500GB WD5000BPKT (2.5" WD Black Drive), I also used it for downloads for a period where I only had the MX300. It was connected using a USB3.0 to SATA adaptor, I have subsequently lent that to a friend and now I need to use a file on the drive that was stored in the downloads.

I have 6 SATA ports so I connected it using the last available one did a bit of 'cable management' and booted in... The drive was not recognised anywhere in Windows (Device manager, Disk Manager or Windows Explorer), however it was correctly displayed in the BIOS.

I have tried swapping ports and cables on the SATA to no avail, I can feel the drive is spinning and I am very sure it still must work as I had it plugged in via. USB less than a week ago.

My understanding is that I can reset BIOS, however I would rather not as I have all my overclocks stored in there so even if it did work I would probably go without and just load up the old BIOS backup, does anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks

HST_James6666

Honorable
Apr 7, 2014
Okay so I got my adaptor back and yes you would have been correct I believe with the first answer it must use a different file formatting system, somewhere in properties it did mention SCSI, whether that is at all related. In order to move it to SATA inside the PC I backed up the data currently on the drive and then deleted the volume in disk manager so it was unallocated, plugged it in via sata, rebooted, initialised the disk in disk manager and then moved all the files back all sorted and now on SATA. Again thanks for the replies, and I'm just writing this for future reference.