Sata HDDs not detecting

Snodig

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hi there.

I just got my hands on a spanking new sata(2? - 3gb/s) HDD to use as my new sysdisk.
After I had Win7 installed on the bastard my system won't detect my other HDDs (sata1).

I'm running them on a Asus Formula III MB.

My BIOS will only detect my sysdisk, win7 will do the same (also in storage-management), all cables are checked and functional, the disks worked w/ my old configuration (winXP) and I haven't relocated any jumper settings on either disks.

I tried soft-resetting the CMOS (button-method).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate any help.
If you need any specifics about my system, I'll be happy to oblige.

Thank you in advance =)

PS: on a side not, can you connect a sata HDD on a sata ODD port? (Probably a silly question =P)

enderbean

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Have you tried connecting using a SATA to USB cable? or If unavailable do you happen to have a USB enclosure handy?
Another option in the Bios are you sure that SATA port1 is enabled?
Will try to look around for anything on mixed mode SATA and let you know if I come across anything

What are the 2 drive models you have?

Snodig

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I'm afraid I don't have either of those hardwares.

I've tried the newest system-drive on both (yes, I only have two) sata-ports, so they should both be functional.

On my old system I used them both (along with a IDE->SATA controller for my sysdisk).

The newest drive, which is the only one responding atm, is a WD10EARS.
The two additional drives are WD10EACS (1TB) and (I think) WD2500AAJB (250GB).

Snodig

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Fixed it!

Thank you for all your assistance though.

Turns out it was my own stupidity (as usual) - The MoBo has two SPD-HDD ports (which are bright red, mind you), and I chose these as they were the most obvious when I setup my old system.

However, on the lower end of the MoBo (hidden behind my HDD-rack) I realized that this gray brick-like plastic-figure was another six SATA-ports =P

For shame =(