SATA & IDE - at the same time?

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I have some old IDE hard drives lying about, can I use them in my next rig, if my new hard drive will be SATA? My mobo will be either a Asus P5B-E or a Gigabyte DS4.

Also: is there any real advantage to SATA?

As you can see my hard drive knowledge is pretty lacking

Ta v.much

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
As long as you have an ide controller you can use them, sure. The new motherboard may only have one ide controller so you would be limited in how many optical drives you use if you also used an ide HD.

Advantages of sata aren't really anything of concern, other than it's the new technology so everything is going that way. The cables are smaller and that means better cable management and air flow, but in terms of speed you probably wouldn't notice it.

BuffaloFan

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Yes, your Asus board supports both simultaneously. My P4 Asus board has an ICH5 chipset, and the User Guide explains how to set up the board and BIOS to do it. Your board is one step above mine, so your s can certainly do it. It is not hard, but you will have to pay close attention to your IDE device settings (master-slave jumpers), slot used, etc. Again, refer to the User Guide.

best wishes,
mike

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Yes, your Asus board supports both simultaneously. My P4 Asus board has an ICH5 chipset, and the User Guide explains how to set up the board and BIOS to do it. Your board is one step above mine, so your s can certainly do it. It is not hard, but you will have to pay close attention to your IDE device settings (master-slave jumpers), slot used, etc. Again, refer to the User Guide.

best wishes,
mike

Cool, cheers guys! I bet CS will work, windows loves CS forever

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I have some old IDE hard drives lying about, can I use them in my next rig, if my new hard drive will be SATA? My mobo will be either a Asus P5B-E or a Gigabyte DS4.

Ta v.much

You can run both IDE and SATA devices simultaneously. You just need to ensure that the SATA drivers are installed and that SATA is enabled in the BIOS.

The Asus board will only support two (2) IDE devices in stock conformation

http://ca.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1347&l1=3&l2=11&l3=307

The Gigabyte board will also only support two IDE devices

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rboard&ProductID=2393&ProductName=GA-965G-DS4

Both boards only come with one IDE connector. You will need at least one channel on this connector for your optical drive. If you have more than one optical drive, you won't be able to use your IDE hard drives unless you get a stand-alone IDE controller. There are IDE controller cards available in both PCI and PCIe forms.

SATA has the following advantages over IDE:

1) the data transfer rate is theoretically faster.

2) the drives can be removed from the system while it is running. They can also theoretically be installed while the system is running.

3) each drive has its own sepreate connection to the MoBo.

4) SATA cables can be much longer than IDE cables.

5) the cables are much thinner and do not require connection at a specific end like IDE cables do. Better air flow in case, and no more problems due to misconnected cables.

This rush to remove IDE controllers and things like serial and parallel ports is stupid and premature, IMHO.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Ta v.much

You can run both IDE and SATA devices simultaneously. You just need to ensure that the SATA drivers are installed and that SATA is enabled in the BIOS.

The Asus board will only support two (2) IDE devices in stock conformation

http://ca.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1347&l1=3&l2=11&l3=307

The Gigabyte board will also only support two IDE devices

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...rboard&ProductID=2393&ProductName=GA-965G-DS4

Both boards only come with one IDE connector. You will need at least one channel on this connector for your optical drive. If you have more than one optical drive, you won't be able to use your IDE hard drives unless you get a stand-alone IDE controller. There are IDE controller cards available in both PCI and PCIe forms.

SATA has the following advantages over IDE:

1) the data transfer rate is theoretically faster.

2) the drives can be removed from the system while it is running. They can also theoretically be installed while the system is running.

3) each drive has its own sepreate connection to the MoBo.

4) SATA cables can be much longer than IDE cables.

5) the cables are much thinner and do not require connection at a specific end like IDE cables do. Better air flow in case, and no more problems due to misconnected cables.

This rush to remove IDE controllers and things like serial and parallel ports is stupid and premature, IMHO.

Mmmm, thanks for the info. Its a bit annoying, but I just had a look at IDE controllers and they are pretty cheap so can't complain too much. Probably the biggest advantage for me personally is the smaller cables, keep the air moving around nicely.