advancednewbie

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hi,
I've just bought an Asus top of the range motherboard, and i tried to format and install WinXP on a SATA drive, with an already formatted IDE drive. The IDE drive only had stored files on, not an OS. But the PC refused to do anything with the IDE attached. Only when i remove it will it do anything.

Is it true that IDE and SATA HDD don't work off the same motherboard? If they can, can anyone recommend a decent Mobo i can change too?

Cheers for any advice

Paul

P.S. Both HDD are Seagate Barracudas, and the mobo is an Asus A8N32 Sli Deluxe with a 1gb of Ram

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i have a ASUS premium board and can run an ide and sata drive, did you press the f6 button to install the sata drivers on startup?

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
1st things 1st. You need to install SATA drivers before the install of WinXP in order for it to see your SATA drive. When you 1st start the installation, it will say PRESS F6 to install 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers. At this point, you need to hit F6 and pop in the floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it. Then everything should go as normal.

I have had somewhat of the same problem. When i tried to install WinXP to my SATA drive with an IDE drive attached, it would not bring up the SATA drive up as C:, only D: which i dont want as my OS drive. So i had to disconnect the power molex from my IDE hard drive in order for my SATA drive to show up as C:. Then after windows was installed...shut down and plug the molex back into the IDE drive, and all should be well. Its a bit of a pain, but not really.

Hope this helps

advancednewbie

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Many thanks Ellis,

What are these SATA drivers you talk of and floppy disk? I assume they have to be downloaded from somewhere and put on a floppy disk as i didn't get a floppy with the mobo or HDD box.

Are they generic or HDD/Mobo specific? I've looked at my model of HDD on the Seagate website, and no sign of drivers available.

Cheers
P

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
On the last 2 nForce based motherboards I installed XP on I didn't need to install the special drivers. One was an Gigabyte nForce3 250 based board and the other was a Gigabyte 6100/430 based board. Both only have SATA drives (Seagate if it makes a difference) so maybe there's something in the idea of removing the ATA drive during installation.

Of course my Intel 945 board ws another story, scratching through the junk in the garage to find a stiffy drive at 2am was the easy part, then I had to find a good disk...............

advancednewbie

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Cheers,
I did remove the IDE drive and installed XP fine on the SATA. However when i tried to put the IDE on and reboot, it wouldn't boot past an error screen after POST.

If the mobo has an IDE connector, it must recognise the IDE somehow, this is driving me nuts!

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
What does your boot order look like? On some boards, I had to put removable devices first to get SATA to boot.

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, good idea, I know that the Gigabyte boards require that you to specify the type (e.g CDROM, HDD, etc) order as well as the HDD sequence (the default was indeed IDE before the SATA).

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
1st things 1st. You need to install SATA drivers before the install of WinXP in order for it to see your SATA drive. When you 1st start the installation, it will say PRESS F6 to install 3rd party RAID or SCSI drivers. At this point, you need to hit F6 and pop in the floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it. Then everything should go as normal.

hmmmm not really necessary... this is needed only if you plan to use your sata driveS as a raid setup. If dont, you can disable sata raid in bios, then sata drives will appear as ide, and you dont need any special driver to install windows.

advancednewbie, probably you'll have to set the correct boot order in bios, it seems your system is trying to boot from other media rather your sata drive.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
1. sata and pata can work in the same time on the same mobo...tweek the bios to get all of hem working.......
2. when it cames to OS...you must install the driver for: sata devices,
other devices like raid (for example ite8212) nomatter what hdd you have sata or pata...press f6 during os install

for example i have an ich7 southbridge........when i install my os on my sata drive i don`t have to load no driver `...but when i install OS on pata drive i have to install drivers for the ite8212 pata raid......

pat

Expert
1. sata and pata can work in the same time on the same mobo...tweek the bios to get all of hem working.......
other devices like raid (for example ite8212) nomatter what hdd you have sata or pata...press f6 during os install

for example i have an ich7 southbridge........when i install my os on my sata drive i don`t have to load no driver `...but when i install OS on pata drive i have to install drivers for the ite8212 pata raid......

That's not true. AMD chipset like nforce3 250GB and up, ULI, SIS, ATI.. and even VIA don't need drivers. I've setted up many suystem with them and everything was and still working good.

When using EXTERNAL controller, like your ITE, it is treated like a PCI devices, needing drivers. Yes just like another PDI device, like a sound card or a dial up modem.

So, everybody here that has no clue or first hand experience about the nforce 4 chipset for AMD cpu should stop trying to help because you are causing much more problem than helping.

The step to HDD install with nforce4 chipset are simple. Connect the drives, start up, make sure RAID is DISABLED for the PATA AND SATA controller and just proceed into the install WITHOUT any drivers.

Tha A8N32 is known to have BIOS problem. Have a trip to HardOCP and read their review of this board and you will have some clue.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
my friend ..if you read carefull enough it says there ich 7...not nf3

indeed nf3 needs no such driver ...

nf3 is not a amd chip ..it`s a nvidia chip

of course you knew that ..but be very carefully when you coment on others.......the emphase That's not true could be miss understood....my friend.....

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Yes, but advancednewbie said he has a NF4 chipset, and the way you said, you stated that ANY sata chipset will require a driver, and that is not true.

You gave an example with ich7, but that is not true for other chipsets (like the ones Pat showed), so your statement is wrong and you still should be careful with what you say... you're generalizing.

Still, with my intel chipset experience it may be possible that ich7 has a compatibility mode, where it's seen by the OS as an IDE device, allowing you to install without drivers...

pat

Expert
my friend ..if you read carefull enough it says there ich 7...not nf3

From the OP signature..:p.S. Both HDD are Seagate Barracudas, and the mobo is an Asus A8N32 Sli Deluxe with a 1gb of Ram
indeed nf3 needs no such driver ...

nf3 is not a amd chip ..it`s a nvidia chip

From my own post, with the emphasis on for : bout the nforce 4 chipset for AMD cpu

of course you knew that ..but be very carefully when you coment on others.......the emphase That's not true could be miss understood....my friend.....

I know that,and I guess that you should too.. And if you were replying to another poster, then you should have choose to reply to him, instead of the OP, as it sound like your post is directed to him. So, reading your post, directed to the OP, you tell him to load drivers, because your motherboard has to, while not entirely true.

advancednewbie

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hi,
Thanks for your help. i solved this in a way that you'll probably be embarrassed about as i am, as it was so easy. I formatted my SATA boot drive. Then removed the CMOS battery for an hour. Replaced battery, and booted to the BIOS. Set the order, and it happily installed winXP on the SATA drive. When up and running i could access the IDE drive.

Very strange!

Cheers
Paul

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
or not.. you could have tweaked your bios wrong in some way... when you removed the battery it returned to default values, which seemed to work.

glad you could solve it :)

dirttt

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I'm having the same problem on my ASUS A8n32-SLI deluxe with a Nvida4 chipset. More precisely:

I already have Windows XP installed on my new SATA drives (RAID 1 Mirrored) and that is working great. Problem is that when I try to connect my old IDE drive (to get my old data off) the BIOS Boot Order screen no longer has my NVIDIA SATA Mirror as an option to boot from. It dissapears and I cannot boot to the NVIDIA SATA mirror. IT comes back when I disconnect the IDE drive.

Need some help. Thanks.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
SATA and ATA can be on the same motherboard.
You need to set up a compatability mode so the motherboard thinks SATA is IDE. So, SATA port 1 and port 2 will be like IDE Slave and Master for 1 IDE port.The down side is you can't have have 2 IDE ports used and 1 SATA drive at the same time.

dirttt

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
SATA and ATA can be on the same motherboard.
You need to set up a compatability mode so the motherboard thinks SATA is IDE. So, SATA port 1 and port 2 will be like IDE Slave and Master for 1 IDE port.

not 100% sure, but I think this is already done. Sata1 and sata2 show up in bios as ide5 and ide6. Is there something else?

The down side is you can't have have 2 IDE ports used and 1 SATA drive at the same time.

Can you clarify this part? I am trying to use an IDE CDROM as well as an IDE HD on each of the two IDE controllers as masters. I also have my 2 SATA drives in a RAID1 (mirrored) configuration. Is this a problem?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
not 100% sure, but I think this is already done. Sata1 and sata2 show up in bios as ide5 and ide6. Is there something else?
You're lucky to get a IDE 5,6. Your motherboard is better than mine.

If you have 3 ide controllers, I don't see a problem.

dirttt

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Still having the problem with the RAID array not showing up as an option in the boot order screen when I attach the IDE drive. Also, the "B" option in the NVRAID (F10) config menus is grayed out and unavailable. WTF?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Sorry, I can't help much more with mapping SATA to IDE AND using RAID. From what little I know, all should be easier after all your drive devices are SATA (including the DVD drives)