SATA + IDE + Windows 8

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hi All,

I have an Asus P5KPL-AM motherboard, 1x SATA HDD, 1x IDE HDD and 1x IDE DVD-Rom which is currently disconnected.

The SATA drive is set as the boot drive with Windows 8 on.

The IDE is set to master (via the jumper on the back)

Without the IDE drive being connected the computer boots up within seconds, as soon as the IDE drive is connected it taks 5+ minutes to boot up.

I can't understand why adding the IDE drive in should add such a massive load time.

Under "Storage Configuration" in the Bios I have the following :-

ATA/IDE Configuration [Enhanced]
Enhanced Mode Support On [S-ATA] (other options are P-ATA, S-ATA+P-ATA, by selecting either of these the system boots fast but the IDE drive doesn't show up in Windows)

Any thoughts please, its driving me insane.

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I "think" I have already tried that, I will make sure and try again.

2-18 of the manual refers to "advanced menu" which didn't have anything regarding boot device ? :/

Thanks for your help so far.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
What is on the IDE drive? If any of the start up programs are on the IDE drive, it could be a matter of complication in retrieving them. I would also look into setting the IDE drive to slave instead. Could be a situation of conflicting authorities.

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Perhaps my manual is different but what you refer to is on page 2-30 (I am in the EU, perhaps why it is different)

Apart from that I tried that and it didn't make any difference :(

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

The IDE drive has some data files on it and an old installation of Windows XP, nothing from the Win 8 installation should be there as I installed it on the SATA drive.

As I said in my original post when I unplug the IDE drive the system loads up fast without issue.

I did originally have the IDE drive set as Slave but it wasn't working so I set it to Master, for one or two boots it booted fine and then went back to booting slow.

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
You have an extra jumper on your IDE Hard Drive.....that's weird. Usually your HD suppose to use one jumper and you are using two. Too many jumpers, Buddy!

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
That image isn't my actual image, it is the same hard drive though and mine has two jumpers the same as in the image. I assume that this HDD is supposed to have two.

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
If you look at the diagrams for master, slave etc you will see they all require the use of both jumpers so I don't think that is causing the issue.

woodflute

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
I have seen long boot times associated with drives that were starting to fail--if you haven't yet, might query the SMART data from your drives with either the command line utilities or a graphic version like CrystalDiskInfo.

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Before testing the drive with what you suggested woodflute I thought I'd try another IDE drive in place of the IDE drive I've been working with (the one with the half pushed in pin)

2 fresh boots and 2 restarts and all work fast.

Looks like the original IDE HDD was causing the issue then?

cool96

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks Woodflute, it looks like your answer was on the money.

Thanks to everyone else who gave suggestions too, I hope this is resolved now :)