SATA & IDE

I've installed a single SATA drive on an A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, and still want
to have IDE drives connected. It seems that whenever I have an IDE drive
set to Master, the system won't boot into windows. If the IDE drives are
Slaves, it works fine. Is there a way to use all the IDE channels/positions
while using a SATA drive as the system disk?

Paul

With my otherboard (A7N8X-E), I have to choose SCSI as the
boot drive. It then will boot from the SATA drive, and all IDE drives
will be available as D: E:, etc.

"paulnews2004" <paulnews2004@blueyonder.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
news: 7Tpud.2639$0B1.378@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> I've installed a single SATA drive on an A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, and still want
> to have IDE drives connected. It seems that whenever I have an IDE drive
> set to Master, the system won't boot into windows. If the IDE drives are
> Slaves, it works fine. Is there a way to use all the IDE
> channels/positions while using a SATA drive as the system disk?
>
> Paul

I've installed a single SATA drive on an A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, and still want
to have IDE drives connected. It seems that whenever I have an IDE drive
set to Master, the system won't boot into windows. If the IDE drives are
Slaves, it works fine. Is there a way to use all the IDE channels/positions
while using a SATA drive as the system disk?

Paul

Does the IDE drive have a bootable operating sytem on it?
A SATA drive is considered a SCSI drive and if the boot order has the option
for a SCSI it should be set to that. DOUG

Of course. That is what I have.
Read my previous messages.

BUT, to install Windows on the SATA drive, recognized as C: Drive, I had
¸to disconnect the IDE drives during the installation. They were detected
afterwards as D: and E:

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
20041210210523.07924.00002195@mb-m07.aol.com...
> I've installed a single SATA drive on an A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, and still want
> to have IDE drives connected. It seems that whenever I have an IDE drive
> set to Master, the system won't boot into windows. If the IDE drives are
> Slaves, it works fine. Is there a way to use all the IDE
> channels/positions
> while using a SATA drive as the system disk?
>
> Paul
>

> Does the IDE drive have a bootable operating sytem on it?
> A SATA drive is considered a SCSI drive and if the boot order has the
> option
> for a SCSI it should be set to that. DOUG

Be careful using the Silicon Image 3112 controller which is on the
A7N8X deluxe. There is a bug which can cause your drive to be
non-bootable unless you low-level format it on a differnet machine. It
does something to the drive that causes the controller BIOS to disable
when the drive is attached. I have tried for months to get Asus to
step up and fix it but they wont. I have given up at this point.

"paulnews2004" <paulnews2004@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've installed a single SATA drive on an A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, and still want
> to have IDE drives connected. It seems that whenever I have an IDE drive
> set to Master, the system won't boot into windows. If the IDE drives are
> Slaves, it works fine. Is there a way to use all the IDE
> channels/positions while using a SATA drive as the system disk?
>
> Paul

Maybe someone else can verify this, But I am sure you can set the boot
device options in the BIOS. That is remove the IDE as options and only have
for example the CD as 1st device and the SATA as second and nothing else.
This should only boot from sata, it is what I used to do when I had my OS on
a sata drive for a p4c800e.

Well, my IDE drives aren't listed in BIOS as boot drives. I believe I have
it as Floppy, CD-ROM and SCSI. I can't be sure about SCSI, as I might have
used HDD-0. I know that's the only thing that worked at one point. I
couldn't boot when I'd mistakenly left the jumpers on the IDE drive as
Master.. but when I changed them to Slave it worked. I now have my CD-Rom
as a Master (on the secondary channel), and that's working. Maybe it only
gets confused when a hard drive is Master?

Paul

Further to my previous message.

I believe if you do not have a diskette (nor a CD-ROM ?) in your
drives, your computer will boot from SATA . that is if you
have set boot drive to SCSI, not HDD-0, which would be your
parallel drive..

"paulnews2004" <paulnews2004@blueyonder.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
news: vxrud.29$mj5.9@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Well, my IDE drives aren't listed in BIOS as boot drives. I believe I
> have it as Floppy, CD-ROM and SCSI. I can't be sure about SCSI, as I
> might have used HDD-0. I know that's the only thing that worked at one
> point. I couldn't boot when I'd mistakenly left the jumpers on the IDE
> drive as Master.. but when I changed them to Slave it worked. I now have
> my CD-Rom as a Master (on the secondary channel), and that's working.
> Maybe it only gets confused when a hard drive is Master?
>
> Paul

peter

ASUS A7N8X del v.2
running one SATA........listed as sata/scsi in the BIOS
2 DVD burner......one as master on IDE 2,the other as slave on IDE1 with a HD as
the master.
The boot order is CD as 1st/scsi as 2nd/floppy as 3rd
The HD on IDE2 used to have a complete OS on it in one partition and at that
point it was bootable if I changed the boot order in BIOS.(backup)
The system never booted of the IDE HD unless I changed the boot order in the
BIOS.
peter

"paulnews2004" <paulnews2004@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Well, my IDE drives aren't listed in BIOS as boot drives. I believe I have it
> as Floppy, CD-ROM and SCSI. I can't be sure about SCSI, as I might have used
> HDD-0. I know that's the only thing that worked at one point. I couldn't
> boot when I'd mistakenly left the jumpers on the IDE drive as Master.. but
> when I changed them to Slave it worked. I now have my CD-Rom as a Master (on
> the secondary channel), and that's working. Maybe it only gets confused when
> a hard drive is Master?
>
> Paul

No such problem here.

"tilimil" <tilimil@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1102782939.111684.226970@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Be careful using the Silicon Image 3112 controller which is on the
> A7N8X deluxe. There is a bug which can cause your drive to be
> non-bootable unless you low-level format it on a differnet machine. It
> does something to the drive that causes the controller BIOS to disable
> when the drive is attached. I have tried for months to get Asus to
> step up and fix it but they wont. I have given up at this point.

peter

Must be a "personal" bug.........have had this board for about 18 months without
any Silicone Image bugs.
Of course I am running tweaked BIOS non raid configuration and a general mix up
of Nvidea drivers.
The only problem right now is one of heat dissapation...being slightly
overclocked(200x11) I all of a sudden find that the temp. of the CPU rises
rapidly during game play.This coincides with a newer PSU.One of these days I'll
have to take it apart and redo the thermal compound.
The Diode temp does not rise dramatically only 2 degrees but the CPU temp goes
up about 8 degrees.Using MBM to monitor.
peter