Question Sata III M.2 ssd wont show up in bios after resetting bios to default options

joleske1738

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
hey guys any help will mean the world to me. so ive had my pc up and running with this drive for the past year, so I know it is not a defective drive. so in my bios of my asus strix b450-f, I clicked the load recommended defaults button (i did this so i could easily undo my cpu overclock). when i clicked on that, it made everything factory new resulting in my m.2 not showing up in my bios ANYWHERE yet alone being shown as a boot option. all of my drives are showing up except my m.2 ssd (which has windows on it). i think this is just a matter of how to configure my m.2 in my asus strix b450-f. thank you for any comments -joe

specs

ryzen 2600

16 gb trident z

gtx 1070

asus strix b450f

750 w evga psu

1tb toshiba hd

1tb wd black hd

250gb wd green sata III m.2 ssd

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why did you reset BIOs exactly?
An M2 drive can still become defective.

"When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled. "

I'd look for a setting in your BIOS to see if you can switch the enabling of SATA 5/6 and enable M.2
it should be done automatically, but a BIOS reset may have changed this.

Last edited:

joleske1738

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Why did you reset BIOs exactly?
An M2 drive can still become defective.

"When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA or PCIE mode, SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled. "

I'd look for a setting in your BIOS to see if you can switch the enabling of SATA 5/6 and enable M.2
it should be done automatically, but a BIOS reset may have changed this.

i reset my bios because i didnt want my cpu overclocked anymore but thats beside the point

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i reset my bios because i didnt want my cpu overclocked anymore but thats beside the point
It isn't - because now it tells me you were overclocking, which can equally cause issues. It might not be relevant, but it could well be.
I had to ask to identify the reasoning for it, because some people do these things when a problem is occuring. So I just wanted to understand.

Have you checked BIOS for the onboard devices config in SkyNets post?

joleske1738

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
It isn't - because now it tells me you were overclocking, which can equally cause issues. It might not be relevant, but it could well be.
I had to ask to identify the reasoning for it, because some people do these things when a problem is occuring. So I just wanted to understand.

Have you checked BIOS for the onboard devices config in SkyNets post?
i have good news, my m.2 shows up now in my sata configuration under m.2 gray, but it wont show up as a boot option or under boot override