SATA III RAID Controller Card

equipojesus

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi all,

I am looking into building a server with various HDD RAIDs and I'm looking for a 10+ port RAID card (PCI-e) that is decent and supports SATA III 6.0Gbps. I am not planning on getting any SATA III HDDs but I would like the RAID card itself to be as future proof as possible given the high cost ($500+) just for a controller card.

As of now, Newegg doesn't offer anything that seems worth while. I was wondering if anyone knew a release date for the technology or if there was anything released now.

I don't care to do SAS/SCSI as the current plan is for a media server with a large amount of data 10TB+.

Thanks!

equipojesus

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I am aware that discs don't saturate the Sata II much less SATA III, I just would like to future proof this build as much as possible. And including a SSD array might be in its future.

I guess I should specify that I'm looking to do 2 different RAID 5 arrays. Good link though, I'll browse their sight some more.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Better than this you will not find in this price class ($100-$150). The Intel IOP RAID controllers are reasonably expensive, and have a tendency to kick drives out of the RAID; unlike a good software RAID managed by Linux/BSD; such as FreeNAS.

If you go hardware RAID you might also need disks with TLER; whereas a software RAID under Linux/BSD would not need TLER disks.