SATA III SSD on SATA II Motherboard

JordanK27

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hi,
i have a SATA II Motherboard and i would like to buy a SATA III SSD mainly for the recording software Dxtory which requires SSDs or HDDs with big write speed so it can record smoother and without lags. The HDD i have now has 77 MB/sec write speed according to Dxtory (it doesn't record so bad but after some hour it lags) . This is the SSD i would like to buy http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html i want the 60GB version of it. Its write speed is 480 MB/sec and i know that its going to be reduced cause i have a SATA II Motherboard but how much will it be reduced? I believe that the final write speed will be around 150 MB/sec (maybe more) and i think its good because its the double speed of my current HDD. Can you tell me what else will be reduced? Maybe i am going to buy a new SATA III motherboard and a new processor on Christmas or later if my family has enough money (people in my country are talking about bankruptcy in the near future!! :( ).

P.S.: If you need my system specs let me know.
P.S.2: I am not into the terminology of SSDs and HDDs and their functions so could you explain to me things in a way i can understand?

Thanks guys ! :)

You pretty much answered your own questions.

A SATA 3 6GB/s solid state drive installed on a motherboard that only supports SATA 2 3GB/s will have read and write performance reduced to SATA 2 3GB/s levels.

Max Read: up to about 285MB/s
Max Write: up to about 275MB/s

Please note the max read and write states "up to about". Real world performance will vary quite a bit and will probably be less depending on what you do with your pc.

Yes.
It will perform the same as a Vertex 2.

FYI, the Agility model has issues with some SATA2 connections and can drop to SATA1 speeds. There's a workaround.

*Get the tool ATTO v2.46 and make sure your large file speeds (last ones) exceed 200MB/sec.

Is the 60GB SSD as a second drive, or will you be cloning Windows to it?

I just ask because 60GB isn't enough for most people for Windows.

It's really AMAZING how much faster computers boot and generally open programs with an SSD.

JordanK27

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

i am planning to have it as a second drive . (can you explain to me what windows cloning is? Will windows cloning keep my current files?)

Thanks! :)

ghforlife

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

:hello: So what your saying is, an ssd that "reads/writes at, say;read=400mb and write=400 would only produce only 1/2 that using "sata2" or so! and if i changed my mobo to a sata3-6gb i could get close to the top speed of my sata6 ssd.

ghforlife - Not exactly. Performance will be reduced to SATA 2 3Gb/s levels. That may or may not be one half of SATA 3 6Gb/s performance levels. It varies quite a bit. A lot depends what one is doing with a pc and what type of data is being read or written.

In actual real world situations there is very little performance difference between a SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd and a SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd. A human being doing ordinary pc stuff would not be able to see or feel any difference. What we have instead are misleading synthetic benchmarks. The benchmarks are called synthetic for a reason. They are not real. The synthetic benchmarks measure those very minor differences between ssd's and then present them in some sort of chart or graph that grossly exaggerates the results. They do not accurately reflect real world performance. To make matters worse ssd companies pick and choose different benchmarks and test settings to make their ssd's look as favorable as possible.

JordanK27

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Yeah for a human being but what about an alien like me??? Just Kidding (Don't report this to CIA or FBI!!!)
So will the performance of the SATA III SSD on a SATS II MOBO will be reduced too much if i just play a game and running 2-3 not too heavy applications?

ghforlife

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

:eek: ok i understand that, however my ssd (plextor 128 m3 sata6) scors are; Seq /read=247.2/write=203.8 and 512k 221.2/202.4 and 4k 24.37/37.40 and 4kQD32=182.5/160.9, thease scors are about 1/2 that of norm scors for users with the same ssd with 20% of the drive filled and this is from all over the net that I can fine. I've asked about the "sata3 vs sata6 befor and everone says the same, but they also say that they have sata6 and I was trying to find out if should upgrade my motherbroad to sata6. My setup now is "ASUS F1A55-M LX with 8GB DDR3 1600, CPU;A6-3500 2GB Video card along with an Old Kingston SSD 128GB and right now the Vseries king ssd runs just as fast.

JordanK27 - Here is a link to an article published by Tom's Hardware that analyzes whether it is worth ugrading from SATA 2 to SATA 3:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110.html

ghforlife - AMD motherboard? There have been compatability issues reported. Asus has issued quite a few updates, patches, and fixes for your motherboard, including three SATA updates. I suggest you go to the Asus web site, find your motherboard, and check out out all the downloads, updates, patches, and fixes.

Let us know what happens.

ghforlife

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

My BIOS is up to date and all my other drivers as well. But I will check again to night and see. I realy hope it as easy as that but I don't thank it is, this is a new broad. Just got it two weeks ago...

samuellbronko

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
i just bought an Intel 520 240GB for my older Sata 2 setup. my mobo is asus rampage formula, Q6600 quad core 2.66MHz CPU, OCZ 8500 reaper 8GB DDR2. i was wondering what speeds ppl are getting and what i should expect?