SATA III vs M.2

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Hello everyone,
I recently found that my knowledge of M.2 and SATA III's differences were off and now I'm confused. I could not find a very direct answer to this with my google fu, so I'm hoping this helps more than just myself.
Becuase I may be making a nw PC soon, I'd like to know at least the basic differences between an M.2 SSD ans an SATA III SSD.

Solution
buying a sata m2 not really any advantage over a 2.5ssd yes its smaller but you cant just take it out and connect it to stuff like you can a 2.5 drive

buying a pci-e x4 m2 yes its much much faster but unless you have 2 of them and are writing files between them its hard to see the full speed over a 2.5 ssd

as ssds are so fast to begin with
depends on which m2

m2 can come as sata as well so arent faster than a 2.5 ssd

m2 that uses x4 pci-e are much faster mine does around 2,000/1500 read and write and some faster ones just been released

if you want full m2 speed you must have a motherboard that can do x4 pci-e

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

I meant the cheaper, slower ones probably. That's what confused me, the fact there are two types. I just assumed they were all equal, and that I was getting the best deal in the universe with an M.2 for $150 with 500 GB (maybe it was 320, don't remember right now)

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Okay, but does buying an M.2 instead of and SATA III give any atvantages? Is it just size?

buying a sata m2 not really any advantage over a 2.5ssd yes its smaller but you cant just take it out and connect it to stuff like you can a 2.5 drive

buying a pci-e x4 m2 yes its much much faster but unless you have 2 of them and are writing files between them its hard to see the full speed over a 2.5 ssd

as ssds are so fast to begin with

Solution

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Thanks!
I accidental set it as discussion instead of ask for a solution, so I can only give you best answer in spirit :)