Question SATA M.2 SSD becomes unresponsive

Sep 22, 2020
I have a xiaomi notebook air 13 (2016 edition) with two SSDs installed, the one that came with the laptop is a Samsung pcie one that holds a hackintosh build of Catalina and the second one is a sata crucial mx500 1TB.

Up until two days ago my system was running fine. I had a dj gig on a Saturday night without any issues and the next morning I tried to use my laptop and upon booting on Windows the cursor was frozen. Tried to reboot into safe mode, normal mode but I got the same behavior followed by a bsod with the message
  • CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
I tried to boot into Catalina and it was successful so I thought it had to do something with my sata ssd or the sata slot maybe(?).

I managed to overcome the problem partially by undoing the screw that holds the ssd in place and lifting the ssd a bit (2° angle) and I managed to boot and get all my files. However even the slightest move by my side would freeze the computer and make the ssd not being recognisable even in bios. It was getting quite hot as well. The pcie ssd however was recognised all the time.

Do you believe there is something wrong with the SSD or it could be the slot itself?

Thanks for your time

check the pins of the motherboard´s slot

is the BIOS always recognizing the SSDs if installed correctly?

how hot are the SSDs getting? Use the manufacturer´s tools Samsung magician and Crucial Storage Executive and test the SSDs with these

could be one or the other, eventually a BIOS update of the laptop and a firmware update of the SSDs can help

Are you sure the Samsung is a preinstalled NVME/PCIe SSD and not a SATA one?
View: https://youtu.be/Yjxs2WsgboY?t=273

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020
The Bios always recognizes the pcie Samsung ssd but the crucial ssd isn't always recognised in bios. Even if it is recognised sometimes it won't boot at all (Black screen) or if it boots it will freeze after a few seconds giving me the BSOD.

The Samsung ssd won't get hot at all, the crucial is hot from the beginning. I will measure the temps today if it allows me to boot.

The Samsung is definitely installed on the correct port. It came preinstalled to that port and I never touched it. I just added the second ssd on the sata port and it was running fine from January 2019 until a few days ago.

Last edited: