Question SATA port numbers from Windows

Myopic.Polish

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
WWW.pacut.eu
How can I check from Windows what devices are connected to specific SATA port numbers?
Is there any program that makes it possible?
Or is it possible only from the BIOS?

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? You can identify which SATA devices are connected to their respective ports by using Intel's Rapid Storage Technology app, provided you're working with an Intel based platform. For AMD's planform, you're left only tracing the SATA cables ends from port(motherboard) to port(storage device).

You can find it off of BIOS as well but that would mean that you can physically identify the port on the board. Often times the storage device will come up as a model number and not a capacity/maker, so be wary of that.

Reactions: Myopic.Polish

USAFRet

Titan
How can I check from Windows what devices are connected to specific SATA port numbers?
Is there any program that makes it possible?
Or is it possible only from the BIOS?
Disk Management and the user manual.

Disk 0 and up correspond to SATA port <Lowest> and up.

Now...if you have 2x identical 500GB drives, then you might have to look at consumed space and figure it out like that as well..

Myopic.Polish

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
WWW.pacut.eu
On my Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard I have the following devices on SATA ports:
0_SATA3 SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Sata3 - System C:
1_SATA3 SSD SanDisk Ultra II 240GB Sata3 - Render F:
2_SATA2
3_SATA2 HDD WD 20EVDS 2TB Sata2 - Clients D:
4_SATA2
5_SATA2 Blu-ray LG BH10LS30 - H:
6_GSATA3 HDD WD 20EZRX 2TB Sata3 - Backup G:
7_GSATA3 SSD Samsung 860 EVO 2TB Sata3 - My E:

Ports 0-5 are supported by Intel Z68 and ports 6-7 by the Marvell controller.

Lutfij, using Intel's Rapid Storage Technology application can actually check the specific SATA port numbers of the connected devices. But this application can only display SATA devices that are controlled by the Intel Z68 controller. Unfortunately, this application does not display SATA devices controlled by an additional Marvell controller. You can see it on the screenshot I have attached.

USAFRet, numbers "Disk 0, 1, 2, 3, 4" in Disk Management unfortunately do not match the numbers of SATA ports. You can see it on the screenshot I have attached.

Schowek10_qqwxrap.jpg

Schowek09_qqwxrar.jpg

Last edited:

Myopic.Polish

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
WWW.pacut.eu
One man on the Gigabyte forum pointed to the SIV64 program.
In the "Location" column in Volumes / Drive status window, the digit after the second dot represents the SATA port number.
In the "Controller" column, you can read the exact name of both SATA controllers.

Schowek13_qqwxnqx.jpg

Interesting program and gives the answer to my question. :)