Question SATA port on motherboard failed - replace motherboard now or keep using it?

Apr 7, 2022
Hello,

A few days ago my computer screen went black. I turned it off and back on. When it came back up, I was greeted with the message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I could not boot it from any of my drives. I booted Windows from a USB and used some of the command-line tools and realized that the C: drive seemed to be completely empty. I installed Windows on a secondary drive and booted from there. After that, the screen would sometimes randomly go black, sometimes before Windows loaded, sometimes after. At least some of the time, I could tell that Windows was still running because I was able to Alt+F4 and then hit "Enter" and the computer would shut down.

After some more troubleshooting, I believe that one of the SATA ports on the motherboard has failed. Here is what I have done so far:
  • Replaced PSU (no change)
  • Swapped main SSD into secondary SSD port and voila! Computer works fine again - C: drive is NOT EMPTY... it's actually just fine. Computer boots from the main drive, just like usual.
    • Tested cables from broken SATA port in the working SATA port, and the cables work fine
    • Plugged known working SSD with known working cables into broken SATA port and it breaks again - will not boot
    • This makes me believe that the middle SATA port on the motherboard has failed, since the drive is fine, the cables are fine, and the computer boots fine when the drive is plugged into another SATA port
Here are my computer details:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: ASRock X570 PG Velocita
  • BIOS: UEFI BIOS Version: X570 PG Velocita P1.20
  • PSU (new): Seasonic Focus GX-850
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
  • RAM: DDR4-2133 8 GB x 4 (32GB total)
My questions are:
  • Now that I know that the motherboard has one bad SATA port, should I go ahead and replace it now? Or should I just stop using that port and keep using the motherboard?
  • Would a failed SATA drive cause the screen to go black or is that more likely to be some other problem with the motherboard?
    • I haven't gotten the black screen yet after swapping to the working SATA ports, but it's only been a few hours.
  • If I keep using it, is it likely for the motherboard to fail in a way that could damage my other components (i.e. the GPU)?
What do you think?