[SOLVED] SATA ports 5 & 6 do not recognize hardware on MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
The 5 & 6 SATA ports are not recognizing my DVD drive on my MSI Z97 Gaming 5. I do not have anything plugged into the M.2 port/SATA 5. I have two SSD's and two 1TB HDD's plugged into the board and they are working fine but I cannot use my DVD drive unless I unplug one of the HDD's and use it's SATA port.

Motherboard is brand new and I have updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Solution
Yeah the manual is actually helpful. if you look it says if you have something in the m.2 slot that SATA 5 and 6 won't be available. I am having this same issue. I just need to at some point get in there and rewire which SATA port I am using for my DVD drive. That might happen some day but lets be honest...so not a priority. On the bright side though this post, ancient as I now see it is, actually helped me.
Feb 15, 2015
Look in your user manual and determine if those ports are on a different controller than some of the other SATA ports. Some second-controllers do NOT support legacy ATAPI devices. ASMmedia is famous for this.

The solution is to play musical chairs with your SATA ports:

If you have a non-asmedia controlled SATA port, plug it in there, and plug the harddrives into the ASMedia controller or whatever it is that has heartburn with your DVD.

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

Yeah I've done this, I've unplugged everything and gone through each SATA port one by one and 5 & 6 will still not work. I'll have a look in the manual now.

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Yeah the manual doesn't help.

OqHT5VP.jpg

Woody1999

Admirable
My mistake, I must have read incorrectly...weird because I checked twice :p

Have you checked for validation of all the SATA ports in the BIOS? It should show six lines with all the drives you have plugged in there, if it can only show 4 or two are greyed out you probably have a problem with your motherboard.

Woody

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

Yeah it doesn't show that there is anything plugged into the 5 & 6 ports when there is. Should I get in touch with MSI?

rsrd

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
After stumbling across this thread and having a similar problem I worked out the manual is wrong. The ports are numbered 0 to 5, port 4 is the M.2 port. Take a look at the SATA sockets on the motherboard and you will see the actual port number printed on the PCB, these are not the same as the manual. Use this layout to plumb in your SATA cables, making sure you still don't use 5 and 6, everything will be fine :)

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
Yeah the manual is actually helpful. if you look it says if you have something in the m.2 slot that SATA 5 and 6 won't be available. I am having this same issue. I just need to at some point get in there and rewire which SATA port I am using for my DVD drive. That might happen some day but lets be honest...so not a priority. On the bright side though this post, ancient as I now see it is, actually helped me.

Solution