[SOLVED] SATA ports 5&6 don't seem to work

adfggffffffddffd

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
So SATA ports 1 through 4 work fine as I have my hard drives hooked up to them and they all work fine. However upon trying to hook up a new hard drive by unplugging one of the 2 disc drives I own and plugging it into the new hard drive I could not get the hard drive to show up which I had hooked up to someone else's computer the day before and it worked fine. So after a little investigating I realized the 2 ports which come as one stacked block do not work. I figured this out by unplugging one of my hard drives from one of the 4 known working ports and plugging it into the 5&6 block and the computer would not recognize it. Not sure what to do next.

B350 F mother board.

Solution
If your read the manual, often there are rules, about SATA Ports 5 & 6 only work if you are not using one of the other ports. Such as if you have a WIFI card or are using a M.2 SSD, or have all the PCI express slots used. I would look into that first.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
If your read the manual, often there are rules, about SATA Ports 5 & 6 only work if you are not using one of the other ports. Such as if you have a WIFI card or are using a M.2 SSD, or have all the PCI express slots used. I would look into that first.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Welcome to the wonderful world of multi-purpose HSIO lanes and motherboards that give you more IO options than the CPU and chipset have HSIO lanes for by using switches to re-route HSIO lanes around the board depending on what is plugged in so you end up with shared HSIO lanes where plugging one thing in means losing something else.