Question SATA ports not working? I have an M.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016
Hi All,

So, I've recently bought a new SSD to add to my system. I was aware prior to purchasing that the M.2 removed two of my SATA 3 ports. I checked my motherboard's manual (Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming 3) and it said the following:

"M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed."

DnzmIR1.png

I plugged my SSD into slot 3, and it didn't show up on my BIOS or disk management. I initially had my CD Drive in slot 0, my HDD in slot 1, and SSD in slot 3.

After a long time of messing around, I accepted defeat and switched my CD Drive around with the SSD drive. So slot 0 is now the SSD and 3 is the CD Drive. SSD shows up, CD Drive does not.

Anyone have any ideas why none of my SATA drives work?

Thanks,

Shaun.

SPECS:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming 3
CPU: i7 4790k (No OC)
RAM: 24GB Corsair DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: 1 x M.2 SSD (Crucial_CT275MX300SSD4 250GB), 1 x SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 500GB), 1 x HDD Western Digital 1TB

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model drives?

Boot drive being?

The new SSD is working via SATA Slot 0.

And the CD drive is working via SATA Slot 3 - correct?

But SATA Slot 1 and SATA Slot 2 are not working?

What other drives do you have?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Jetrise

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2016
Make and model drives?

Boot drive being?

The new SSD is working via SATA Slot 0.

And the CD drive is working via SATA Slot 3 - correct?

But SATA Slot 1 and SATA Slot 2 are not working?

What other drives do you have?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Hi Ralston,

Boot drive is the M.2. The new SSD is working in slot 0 yes. CD Drive, however (in slot 3) is not.

Other drives listed in spec above, also with what slots they are in.

I've put the CD Drive into slot 2, 3, 4, and 5, and none of those slots are working, although manual said 2 and 3 would still work.

Thanks,

Jet.

Hi All,

So, I've recently bought a new SSD to add to my system. I was aware prior to purchasing that the M.2 removed two of my SATA 3 ports. I checked my motherboard's manual (Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming 3) and it said the following:

"M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed."

DnzmIR1.png

I plugged my SSD into slot 3, and it didn't show up on my BIOS or disk management. I initially had my CD Drive in slot 0, my HDD in slot 1, and SSD in slot 3.

After a long time of messing around, I accepted defeat and switched my CD Drive around with the SSD drive. So slot 0 is now the SSD and 3 is the CD Drive. SSD shows up, CD Drive does not.

Anyone have any ideas why none of my SATA drives work?

Thanks,

Shaun.

SPECS:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming 3
CPU: i7 4790k (No OC)
RAM: 24GB Corsair DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: 1 x M.2 SSD (Crucial_CT275MX300SSD4 250GB), 1 x SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 500GB), 1 x HDD Western Digital 1TB
Read last line in that picture, it specifies which SATA ports are disabled by using M.2 drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.