[SOLVED] SATA Ports

Dr_VinniGoombatz

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
From "Disk Manager" I get a "Disk 2" initialization box and no matter how I initialize I get and I/O error. I don't know if this uninitialized disk is part of a slow boot issue I have but I'm sure it doesn't help. I've also noticed the trial and error discussion WRT which SATA port a "Disk 2" may be attached. Trial & error methods are always bothersome in troubleshooting.

Obviously Disk Manager knows the answer to this issue but the App doesn't have that data for viewing under Actions. Is there a CMD or a Script that can be run to reveal this information.

Solution
From "Disk Manager" I get a "Disk 2" initialization box and no matter how I initialize I get and I/O error. I don't know if this uninitialized disk is part of a slow boot issue I have but I'm sure it doesn't help. I've also noticed the trial and error discussion WRT which SATA port a "Disk 2" may be attached. Trial & error methods are always bothersome in troubleshooting.

Obviously Disk Manager knows the answer to this issue but the App doesn't have that data for viewing under Actions. Is there a CMD or a Script that can be run to reveal this information.
Try with a 3rd party partition manager like this one for instance: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html

Try with a 3rd party partition manager like this one for instance: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html

Reactions: Dr_VinniGoombatz
Solution

Dr_VinniGoombatz

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I couldn't understand the question. What information exactly do you need?

Please list full hardware specs of your pc and post screenshot from Disk Management.
Windows comes with a "Disk Management" App. It numbers the attached disks. The disks are connected via SATA thru various controllers. The OS manages these connections via some sort of Equipment listings. I need, presumably thru a Windows based CLI, access to these lists so I can translate the "Disk 2" Label to a controller and SATA port.

I need access to these lists so I can translate the "Disk 2" Label to a controller and SATA port.
What? Sorry - I still don't get it.
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you want partition management through command line, you can do that with diskpart.

If you want to physically identify drive, that is listed as Disk 2, then right-click on Disk 2 label in Disk Management, choose properties. You'll find hardware identification there.

Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?

Dr_VinniGoombatz

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Unfortunately a screen shot of the offending part in DM is no longer available as I tracked the bad HW down via serial number provided by "Storage Space".

Unfortunately, via the windows disk manager all I can find is "Bus Number 1, Target Id 0, LUN 0" associated with the replaced SSD which is now labeled Disk 13; which is gibberish save for a HW designer that knows the MB configuration. It still leaves one wondering which SATA port is Disk 13 connected. I know, now, but still wouldn't had I hadn't found it previously.

Oh and BTW this was the root cause of my slow boot issue too :) For all intent and purpose I had a HW issue and not a SW issue.