Sata Power Cable question

nick8214

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I have a sata power cable that has five connections but I only need the top one since it lays flat and not on a 90 degree angle. My question is: Can I remove the other connections, cover the "exposed" wire with electric tape and have no issues? This is purely for aesthetic reasons. I am worried about where the connections were if that will create a unstable flow to the hard drive and fry it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
yes, wrap each cable with electrical tape.

So you are just removing those extra plugs and keeping the rest of the cable? I have done that in the past to steam the connectors for custom cables :)
You can do that, but you have to make sure the wires do not touch one another(grounds can touch other groups, but everything else has to be kept apart.).

You can in most cases cut right against a 90 degree without any issues of wires touching, they even make caps that cover the wires at the end.

Please note this will be the end of your power supply warranty.

Made some custom cables back in the day without issues(had to remove the extra cable at the end).

Click \/
900backwardssy0.jpg

nick8214

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

This is what I am working with...so if I wrap each cable individually first then I should be ok?

U9Kye29.jpg

nick8214

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

Yeah I am planning on a clean looking line for the powers so taking off the extras so they dont look all jumbled, thanks for the info

TRENDING THREADS