stu42j

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
I am working on replacing the motherboard and harddrive in a computer and I'd like to go with SATA but the power supply does not have SATA power connectors. I know that you can get SATA power converter cables for cheap but then I read this article here that refers to the adapters as being "less than optimal in practice".

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/atx12v-24pin-02.html

What kind of problems can be caused by using an adapter for SATA power? The PSU in this case is an Antec and the HDD will be Seagate, if that makes any difference.

--thanks.

RichPLS

Champion
A lot of SATA drives have both the standard 4 pin power connecter and the SATA power connecter.
Check it out and get a model with both, the Raptor 36 and 74 gig drives have both...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I haven't had any power adapter problems with my Seagate 7200.7, and my Hitachi 7K250 had both types of power connectors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Bosse

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
All my 4 (look below) sata drivers has standard hdd power connector, i dont even know what a sata power adapter is!

AMD 2500+ @2145.92Mhz - Volcano9 - A7N8X/DLX - Corsair XMS3200LL 1024MB - GF 3 TI-200 - C: = 2x WD Raptor 10000rpm RAID 0 - D: = 2x WD Caviar 200Gb 7200rpm SATA RAID 0 - Hiper 420w.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well then, it seems Hitachi and WD have dual power, while Seagate and Samsung are SATA power only.

I'm really surprized you don't know what an SATA power adapter is, your motherboard should have included them. All my SATA equiped motherboards have included them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>