[SOLVED] SATA power distribution hub

Jun 29, 2020
Hi there,

I've been hunting around for a way to tidy the back of my case and remove a lot of power cabling. I've been searching for a SATA power distribution box that I plug in from the PSU, and can take multiple feeds from for SSDs/HDDs/RGB etc, but can't find anything remotely like what I am looking for, the only seems to be those generic daisy chain cables.

I nice clean power hub seems a logical answer to cable manage, so don't know why nothing is out there, any ideas of search terms outside of "PSU sata distribution hub".

Many thanks in advance,

-Thera`

Solution
True, but I don't see that would be any different to the daisy chain SATA cables with 4 connectors that you get on most modular PSUs.

There IS a difference.

With a SATA cable with four connectors, you can only connect four drives. If you had a SATA power distribution hub, you can plug the hub into one SATA connector, and that might split power into three or four connectors AND plug something into the remaining three SATA ports.

YOU might not do that... but there's a liability there. Remember when people were mining Cryptocurrency? That was proof positive that people did not understand Ohm's law and they were frying parts left and right.
The problem with such a "power hub" is that it can make users take more power from one cable from the PSU than the PSU and cable can deliver - rather to spread the load over several cables.
Just the same problem applies to extension cords for mains.

Jun 29, 2020
True, but I don't see that would be any different to the daisy chain SATA cables with 4 connectors that you get on most modular PSUs.

I've been amazed I haven't found a single option for a more compact why to distribute power, currently I have to use a cable with 4 SATA connectors, and have additional cable to each of the devices (RGB controllers have their own cable plugging into the daisy chain).

There IS a difference.

With a SATA cable with four connectors, you can only connect four drives. If you had a SATA power distribution hub, you can plug the hub into one SATA connector, and that might split power into three or four connectors AND plug something into the remaining three SATA ports.

YOU might not do that... but there's a liability there. Remember when people were mining Cryptocurrency? That was proof positive that people did not understand Ohm's law and they were frying parts left and right.

Solution
Jun 29, 2020
True enough, just amazes me I couldn't find anything suitable online. The amount of uncertified and dangerous electronics out there, there'd be a market for this! ;) I could afterall happily daisy chain those splitters together indefinitely, I don't see safety being the limiting factor in the business model for a supplier :D

True enough, just amazes me I couldn't find anything suitable online. The amount of uncertified and dangerous electronics out there, there'd be a market for this! ;) I could afterall happily daisy chain those splitters together indefinitely, I don't see safety being the limiting factor in the business model for a supplier :D

True, there's plenty of garbage Chinese companies that will make a fire hazard at the drop of a hat, but they don't want to invest too much into R&D and tooling. Cables are low hanging fruit.

Tooling for plastic parts are AMAZINGLY expensive.

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah, I've got an electronics background, so understand the swings and roundabouts of design/manufacturer. I could knock one up with a few connectors and prototyping board, but off the shelf is always easier.

No worries, thanks for the quick answers.

Cheers again!