[SOLVED] SATA power plug question

Jan 8, 2020
Hello, I have an old (from 2011) western digital blue caviar 500gb HDD pulled from a PC that recently died, and I intend to put it in a new model, but I'm concerned that the SATA socket on the drive won't be compatible with the new PSU. I've tried connecting this drive to a cooler master 500w, but the plug simply didn't fit when every source reassured that they're backward compatible.

What gives? Am I a ham handed idiot or is there a missing factor?

Jan 8, 2020
Sata data cable or power? Data cables haven't changed. Newer drives use sata power instead of the old molex type. If your psu has sata power connectors, a new drive should fit without issue.
Power. Here's an image of the connector I know fits for reference. it's an old-ish HDD made in 2011 that isn't compatible with a modern PSU.

IMG-0542.jpg

Power. Here's an image of the connector I know fits for reference. it's an old-ish HDD made in 2011 that isn't compatible with a modern PSU.

IMG-0542.jpg

On your Western Digital Blue 500GB you have 3 connectors. The one to the left is the SATA power connector. The one in the middle is the SATA Data cable and the one at the right is a PDATA molex connector. You plug any modern PSU SATA power cable in the SATA power connector to the left and it should fit or you can use a molex power connector to the PDATA. One or the other but not both at the same time.

SATA ports are L shaped on the side. You have a straight line and a small corner. Molex is just pins.

Jan 8, 2020
On your Western Digital Blue 500GB you have 3 connectors. The one to the left is the SATA power connector. The one in the middle is the SATA Data cable and the one at the right is a PDATA molex connector. You plug any modern PSU SATA power cable in the SATA power connector to the left and it should fit or you can use a molex power connector to the PDATA. One or the other but not both at the same time.

SATA ports are L shaped on the side. You have a straight line and a small corner. Molex is just pins.
I see. But this raises a conundrum, I did try to connect it to a modern PSU with SATA connectors, but I swear to you, it didn't fit. Tried it both ways but it wouldn't smoothly slide all the way on.

Latest posts