[SOLVED] SATA power vs Molex SATA power adapter

May 24, 2022
Hi All,

Just experienced a weird issue, I recently purchased a Mini SAS SFF-8087 to 4 SAS SFF-8482 Cable, each end that plugs into the HDD has a SATA power plug. When I plug a PSU SATA power plug into the adapter (SFF-8482) it doesn't power up the drive, if I plug the PSU SATA power plug directly into the HDD it spins up, if I use a Molex to SATA power adapter and plug it into the SFF-8482 it spins up the drive. So why would the PSU SATA power plug not power up the drive when plugged into the SFF-8482 but works fine with a Molex to SATA adapter?

Solution
Interesting, as I did connect a SAS drive for my testing... But why with the inclusion of the 5th wire (3.3v) it seems to have change the power pinout? (even though hardly used) Surely the 3.3v line would be additional and would not compromise the default power pin-out?

Drivers don't need the 3.3v to operate, there are a lot of SATA cables without the 3.3v on the market, your adapter is intended to work with those old 4-wire SATA connector.
Is it this cable that you bought?

sas808782p50.main.jpg

May 24, 2022
Interesting, as I did connect a SAS drive for my testing... But why with the inclusion of the 5th wire (3.3v) it seems to have change the power pinout? (even though hardly used) Surely the 3.3v line would be additional and would not compromise the default power pin-out?

Drivers don't need the 3.3v to operate, there are a lot of SATA cables without the 3.3v on the market, your adapter is intended to work with those old 4-wire SATA connector.

Solution