SATA RAID Drives on new Dell 400SC ?

somebody

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I bought a barebones Dell server (with 2.8G Hyperthreaded CPU) and am
thinking of adding a RAID 1 using 2 IDE drives.
I am wondering what advantage is there of using the SATA drives. Also is
the installation of these drives much different from regular IDE raid? I was
thinking of using the Adaptec 1210SA.

Appreciate comments and suggestions.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

400SC supports SATA right off the system board though the cables are much
narrower...about 1/3" wide....so make sure you get them with the drive.

The install is the same as a standard IDE drive...the BIOS will see the SATA
drive on boot.

Advantage? SPEED! MUCH FASTER than standard IDE drives.

"Patrick" <pearcepd@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> 400SC supports SATA right off the system board though the cables are much
> narrower...about 1/3" wide....so make sure you get them with the drive.
>
> The install is the same as a standard IDE drive...the BIOS will see the
SATA
> drive on boot.
>
> Advantage? SPEED! MUCH FASTER than standard IDE drives.
>

> "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote in message
> > I bought a barebones Dell server (with 2.8G Hyperthreaded CPU) and am
> > thinking of adding a RAID 1 using 2 IDE drives.
> > I am wondering what advantage is there of using the SATA drives. Also
is
> > the installation of these drives much different from regular IDE raid? I
> was
> > thinking of using the Adaptec 1210SA.
> >
> > Appreciate comments and suggestions.

But the RAID will still need a seperate card right?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote...

> But the RAID will still need a seperate card right?

Not in many/most cases.

Many current motherboards have on-board RAID 0 and RAID 1 capability without
add-on cards. Most are limited to 2 SATA drives for RAID 0/1, though. Adding
another pair or going to RAID 5 will usually require another card.

"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message
> "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote...
> >
> > But the RAID will still need a seperate card right?
>
> Not in many/most cases.
>
> Many current motherboards have on-board RAID 0 and RAID 1 capability
without
> add-on cards. Most are limited to 2 SATA drives for RAID 0/1, though.
Adding
> another pair or going to RAID 5 will usually require another card.

So can I configure for Raid 1 on the Dell 400SC without buying and add on
card? Does the m/b have RAID built in?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The main difference with setting up SATA is that you get 1 drive per SATA channel, there is no master slave.