SATA RAID question

I have Athlon 64 motherboard MSI K8T-Neo with IDE and two SATA/RAID
chipsets (from Via and Promise). I would like to know if I connect 2
SATA drives to SATA controller do I have to configure them as RAID 0 or
1 or could I just use them as two regular drives? Also which RAID to use
VIA or Promise. I plan to run W2K.
Thanks for your help
Pete

In article <40872698.9090409@knology.net>,
pkraj@knology.net says...
> I have Athlon 64 motherboard MSI K8T-Neo with IDE and two SATA/RAID
> chipsets (from Via and Promise). I would like to know if I connect 2
> SATA drives to SATA controller do I have to configure them as RAID 0 or
> 1 or could I just use them as two regular drives? Also which RAID to use
> VIA or Promise. I plan to run W2K.
> Thanks for your help
> Pete

Most SATA raid chips (speaking of the SiS on the A7N8X)
allow you to run as just a bunch of drives (JBOD?),
RAID0 or RAID1.

As to which raid chip to use on the board? (shrug) I've
always used Promise raid controllers as they were cheap
and did the job.