SATA, SATA2, SATA2.0, SATA II, and more term cosnfusion!!!!!

sam1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
1.Can someone explain to me the differences between:

SATA
SATA 2
SATA 2.0
SATA II
SATA I
SATA 1.0
SATA 150
SATA 300
SATA 150MByte/s
SATA 300MByte/s
SATA 1.5Gbit/s
SATA 3Gbit/s

2. Can someone tell me the combatibility inter-compatibility of the interfaces listed above?

3. A HDD's manufacturer part number should be the best way to identify a HDD, however there are many online sellers with poor product labels/names that are really confusing. What do you guys usually do to aviod buying the wrong product?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

All of the above that you are asking about are different ways of displaying the two levels of SATA that are currently on the market.

SATA I
Transfers data at upto 150 Mbytes per second (1.5Gbits/second)

SATA II
Is more recent and transfers at upto 300 Mbytes per second (3.0Gbits/second)

Eventually there are plans to release a SATA III, though I have no idea when that will be released, much less when a product will be availible. Hope this helps.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
From what i know:

SATA, SATA I, SATA 1.0, SATA 150 are all the same, as well as
SATA 2, SATA 2.0, SATA II, SATA 300 are also all the same.
The 150MByte/s or 1.5Gbit/s | 300 MByte/s 3Gbit/s refer to the theoretical top transfer speed of the drive, SATA I being 150 MByte/s and SATA II being 300MByte/s.

They will all work in either SATA or SATA 2 ports.

EDIT: The poster above beat me to it. He is bang on. There is only 2 different types of SATA drives on the market. SATA 1 and SATA2.

sam1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Thanks. That solves all my questions about interfaces, as well as online product names.

If it's like this, then I think there is no point in creating 2 SATA interfaces, since they ALL work in all SATA I or II ports.

KnightRiderX

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks. That solves all my questions about interfaces, as well as online product names.

If it's like this, then I think there is no point in creating 2 SATA interfaces, since they ALL work in all SATA I or II ports.

There is only one port type used by both SATA and SATA II. There aren't two types.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
All the ports are compatible but if you pkug a SATA 2 drive into a SATA 1 port, it will run at SATA 1 speeds. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

sam1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Also I've found some interesting articles on google.

Basically, SATA II is not a specification of interface type for SATA devices. SATA II is rather the name of the organization formed to author the SATA specifications. They changed their name to SATA-IO (Serial ATA International Organization). However, this have created real pain and confusions for customers, because many sellers use "SATA II" to represent the 3Gb/s specification hard drives, or even SATA 1.5Gb/s drives. There is no such thing as a second generation of SATA ("SATA II"). So, in conclusion:

SATA 1.0 = "SATA I" = SATA 150 = SATA 1.5Gb/s = SATA 150MB/s
SATA 2.0 = "SATA I" = SATA 300 = SATA 3.0Gb/s = SATA 300MB/s

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-ATA#SATA.2F300

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2450

http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

boracus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Ah but then again what is the real difference between the sata 1 and sata 2. Even though the large glaring speed difference is obvious, don't forget about sata 2 new features like

command queing
hot swap
delayed startup
and some more I've probably forgotten.

The gotcha is that sata 2 (sata-io) does not mandate these features, it is up to the hard drive manufacturer to decide on which features they want to emplement on a hard drive. So if you are looking for these features be very careful the hard drive you buy actually has what you're are looking for!