SATA SLAVE ON VISTA 64BIT

wvarner83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I AM HAVING TROUBLE INSTALLING A SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.10 IDE HARD DRIVE. I AM TRYING TO MAKE THIS A SLAVE VIA MY ONBOARD SATA. NOW I HAVE A 250 WD ALREADY IN THE COMPUTER. IT IS HOOKED UP VIA SATA, BUT IS RECOGNIZED AS "SCSI." I MESSED WITH THIS DRIVE LAST NIGHT FOR 7 HOURS AND NOTHING. THERE IS A TWIST THOUGH. I AM TRING TO USE AN IDE TO SATA CONVERTER THAT PLUGS INTO THE BACK OF THE HARD DRIVE. I TRIED IT SATA WITH THE CONVERTER AND IDE WITHOUT THE CONVERTER AND STILL NOTHING. HARD DRIVE IS NOT RECOGNIZED IN BOIS OR CMOS. I AM RUNNING WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 64-BIT. AMD PHENOM 9500+QUAD CORE. 4 GB RAM. GEFORCE6100PM-M2 MOTHERBOARD. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. WHEN I DID IT IDE I GOT IT TO START FORMATTING IN DISK MANAGEMENT, BUT THEN ERROR MESSAGE CAME UP AND SAID FORMATTING COULD NOT COMPLETE, BUT I THINK THAT WAS BECAUSE I PLUGGED IN A MICRO SD CARD READER VIA USB DURING FORMAT. IF YOU CAN PLEASE HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE! THANKS

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Er... Just a tip, SATA no longer uses the idea or master and slave devices. That was IDE/E-IDE thing that allowed 2 devices to share a cable.

wvarner83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I AM USING 1 OF 3 AVAILABLE SATA PORTS ON MY MOTHERBOARD... SO THERE SHOULD BE NO JUMPERS IN EITHER HARD DRIVE? AND SOMEONE SAID I NEED TO TURN ON THE SATA IN MY BIOS, BUT THE ONLY SATA OPTION I HAVE IS FOR RAID AND I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THAT... THE DRIVE IS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED AT ALL NOW

wvarner83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I don't want to share a cable... I just want to have 2 hard drives for extra storage... In my BIOS I have enabled auto detection on everything and still nothing...

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
wvarer83, I understand that, just saying for clarity purposes that master/slave only works on a IDE cable with 2 devices. Its just easier to communicate if we all speak the same 'technical jargon' if you know what I mean.

That option for the RAID, just leave it on SATA and double check your SATA cable and HDD power cable, sometimes they look like they are in but aren't.

Edit: Is the new drive being seen in the BIOS but not in Windows?

royalcrown

Distinguished
sata does not use master or slave, and if the wd drive is the only device on the ide cable, the jumper on it needs to be pulled off and not on master, all my wd are the same, more than 1 device on the cable = master/slave jumper - only one device on the ide cable, remove the jumper, also set you sata mode to ide and not ahci if your mb has that option. Trust me on this, I am running mixed sata and ide right now.

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I've had some issues with a IDE to SATA converter as well. Sometimes the IDE to SATA converter has jumpers or switches to tell it whether it should do SATA to IDE or IDE to SATA. So first make sure that's right. Aside from that, some converters can't handle a drive with the jumper set to slave... you'll need to look on the drive or check the manual to see what the jumpers need to be set to for "single" or "master" since not all drives know that "no jumpers" = "master". It should be recognized in BIOS, so no need to boot into windows if BIOS doesn't recognize it, you can try it connected without any other drives. Also, some motherboards have an IDE mode option for some of the SATA ports, you can try that as well if you have it. There's not much else we can do for you from the forums, next steps will just be trial and error with every combination of settings you can think of.

wvarner83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
ok, look, it is an ide hard drive. seagate 7200.10. i am trying to convert it to sata using the converter that plugs into the back of the ide hard drive. i already have 1 sata hard drive that is registering as scsi. now i have 4 sata slots on my mothernoard and the original hdd is plugged into sata port #1.this drive has not been recognized at all on sata and one time on ide connection.

TRENDING THREADS