Status
Not open for further replies.

Ongbac

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I have built a totally new computer using SSD attatched all my old hard drives using Win7 64bit.
I connected my old Sata drive which ran Vista 7 so I could slave all its information but it makes the new system hang and not boot.
I did however once get the Win7 too boot but couldn't see the drive at all throught Device manager.
In BIOS I can see the drive, I know its spinning up ok.

My question is can you slave a SATA drive at all?

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ong.

Solution
You cannot slave a SATA drive the way PATA drives would work. Each SATA port is independent and does not share devices. PATA set ups traditionally came with two controllers which allowed two compatible devices per controller.

The reason why your Vista drive is making the system hang is because you have two boot drives on the same SATA controller. Even though the SATA controller has a dedicated ports for each device having two boot drives is not a good idea.

The best way around the situation is to boot the system with only the Win 7 drive and put the Vista drive in an external HDD bay to access the data on it. Alternatively boot off the Vista drive and back up your data to DVD or a non system HDD that can be accessed by Win 7 when you...

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
There is no such thing as "slave" using sata interface,
how are you managing to slave that poor drive?

it should simply work and show up in windows, what kind of motherboard you have?
Try and connect it using USB dock??

Wamphryi

Distinguished
You cannot slave a SATA drive the way PATA drives would work. Each SATA port is independent and does not share devices. PATA set ups traditionally came with two controllers which allowed two compatible devices per controller.

The reason why your Vista drive is making the system hang is because you have two boot drives on the same SATA controller. Even though the SATA controller has a dedicated ports for each device having two boot drives is not a good idea.

The best way around the situation is to boot the system with only the Win 7 drive and put the Vista drive in an external HDD bay to access the data on it. Alternatively boot off the Vista drive and back up your data to DVD or a non system HDD that can be accessed by Win 7 when you swap the drive over. Then when your data is where you need it to be delete the partition off the Vista drive and turn it into a non system drive so you can use it later. It will need to activated in Disk Manager most likely when this has been done.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.